Author Topic: wow...didn't expect that!  (Read 1938 times)

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
wow...didn't expect that!
« on: January 06, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
stopped at one of my best calling spots on the way home from work....has produced very well for me the last two seasons with red's. didnt have my hat or gloves in the truck so it was gonna be a quick stand than on my home to start a fire.

its a flood prevention dry dam (BigBen & Lifes2Fun, you called there with me). last three times i was there the reds hung up on me in some brush and wouldnt expose themselves for a clean shot through the branches with the rifle like in the past. so, i took the shot gun and placed the fx3 in its normal spot and stood where the fox hang up. one series of baby cottontail than two of lucky bird...happen to look over my right shoulder to the open field towards where i normally sit on a hill side by a tree and here comes eyes. the eyes are too far apart for a red...the loping gate was too long for a fox....eyes are too far off the ground for a fox...hmmm...someones dog is loose on the game lands. as it gets closer to me off my right shoulder i can now see its a coyote coming in from 3 o'clock and i'm facing towards 12 and i'm right handed. i turn my gun light on and pivot my feet to line up the shot and i moved some leaves with my feet and the sucker hit 2nd gear...i aim and shoot at 40yds.....3rd gear...shoot again at 45yds....4th gear....and into the pine trees it went. i stood there not beliveing what just transpired. :o i had 2oz 4shot loaded for reds. woulda had #4 loaded if i thought this was gonna happen...lol. it never missed a step or yelped while shooting but went and checked for blood or hair...nuttin. :(

i never anticipated seeing a coyote in this particular area....just goes to show you never know where one will turn up. next time i go i'll have #4buck on deck in the scatter gun. ;) its a shame the wind is back at it again tonight cause now i'm all amped up and wanna go out again right now...arrrrgg!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:54:24 PM by 220_Woody »
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: wow...didn't expect that!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »
Great story Woody.. You'll get 'em.
FayetteNam

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »
I feel your pain..Its hard to be prepared for every situation,still exciting either way.

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
One of the reasons I only load with #4 buck.
PPHA District 3

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 10:53:34 PM »
yeah Jeff...if i lived where you do i would too... ;D

coyotes are still few and far between down in my neck of the woods. so loading #4 all the time could spell for some serious sewing for me.. ;)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:06:08 PM »
Sorry to hear about the missed shot Woody.  Better luck next time.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 07:40:49 AM »
Looks like your hunting spot is still hot. Congrats on calling him in and I hope you get him...ED

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
we have been shooting fox with lead BBs and it isn't too bad, the last coyote i shot i hit her with 2 3/4 #4 shot copper platted at about 20 to 25 yards and she didn't even flinch when i hit her, i hit her with the second barrell the lead BBs and it knocked her down.  This time of year the smallest we shoot are the lead BBs even when hunting greys because more and more coyotes are showing up.