Author Topic: Hunting from a boat  (Read 1876 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Hunting from a boat
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Can a person hunt predators at night from a boat or do you need to be standing on land?

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Hunting from a boat
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:37:22 PM »
If you can hunt waterfowl from a boat i dont see why ya couldnt hunt predators from a boat as long as it is anchored and not under power

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 12:43:54 AM »
Saw a video once Dennia Kirk hunting coon from a boat...He pulled into a cove started up Coonpuppies and the coon came to the waters edge and were shot...Yep  probably the same rules that apply for waterfowl hunting would apply for predator hunting....One thing you got to be careful out there at night and respect the water and darkness....Also more then one person in a boat...Best to only have one shooter at a time.......  Hunting alone make sure you wear a life presserver.....cold weather you fall overboard and it's not the drowning that will kill you...The cold water AKA  Hypothermia .  Um maybe one should really think.......It just might not be worth doing this at night time.....Sure don't want to do it on a River.  Maybe on of the Fish Commission lakes might be OK.  Still dangerous and you have to be careful....

UB X USCG........
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:48:15 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »
As long as it is anchored and not under power and you have proper lights. All boating laws apply.
I hunt from small V bottom or Canoe.
I anchor and call.
I also beach vessel and walk to setup.

A boat or canoe enables a hunter to get into fur hot spots.
Don't get careless, have a plan, go lightweight, don't overload the boat or canoe as the night progresses. When you get sleepy...get off the water.
This type of hunting is not for the faint of heart, jittery folks. Stay focused and enjoy.

I rarely talk about my wife on thesehere sites. But she hates this style of hunting by me. But I see no difference night fish'n Brown Trout, Walleye or Catfish from a boat.

Renny

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »
I love living 2 miles from the Susquehanna.  Alot of coon hunters don't hunt the river flats because of the amount of bank dens or holes that coon will retreat to when pursued by pooches.  Makes calling alot of fun and very productive.............

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.I think I'm going to give it a try.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »
My son and I gave boat hunting a try last night,what an adventure.It was a bit to windy to be on the water at night.It was hard to hold your position and messing with the anchor made extra noise.We did see a coon and had a fox barking but no shots fired.The boat seemed to be to much of a deterrent to coax the animals in close.Although the boat makes for a nice shooting platform I think it would would be best to park the boat and walk a short distance and set up.Just my thought.

Offline trapperspaz

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
I am going to try it at the lake that is close to me. Last year my buddie set traps along the shore and caught 4 grays 1 red first night the rainned for ever and goose came in so he pulled.  :( :(