Author Topic: The Late Evening Hunt  (Read 2446 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
The Late Evening Hunt
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
I went out coyote hunting this Saturday evening on a property I just got permission to hunt.  First, lets go back a week when I met the the owner. 

It was Friday April 24th.  I found out the lady was a close friend of my wife's late grand mother and many a time she would go to my wife's grand mothers farm for dinner during the depression.  After chatting for awhile and getting that ever needed nod to hunt.  I walked around a little bit to get the lay of the land.  I only made down to the pond.  To my surprise a fox was on the other side of the pond less then 75yds.  I just sat down and took in the scenery.  What an interesting evening that was.

Oh, the turkeys were talking to.

Now, lets jump forward to this Saturday.  Since it stays light out later.  I went up around 1830hrs and set up at one end of the pond near where I saw the fox the week before.  I put out my enticer and pain in the rear end wired JS digital caller and sat my fat rear end down under a tree.  I pulled the guts of the caller out of my pack.  The thing was left on by the kids playing with it and the batteries were dead.  Damn, I had to switch to plan B, out came the Cass Creek Predator Callers.  I played with them for about 5mins. No response.  So. I said "what the heck", I pulled out my back Stabber from Kettle Creek and gave it a try.  After a series of calls on the rabbit end of the call.  I heard something come running from behind over a dead fall.  It scared the living fical matter out of me.  It was a fox at less then 3ft.  I jumped up in fright at first, but I think the fox was more surprised than me.  I did let it run off guys don't worry.  So, after cleaning my shorts out.  I settled back down under the same tree.  I started to call again on the Stabber.  A minute or so into the sequence another fox came out in front of me about 40-50yds out.  I played with this one for a few minutes.  Well, I got tired of that after awhile.  I got up and moved down to the other end of the pond, about 200yds.  I sat again at the base of a tree.  There were some deer, I mean a lot of deer moving through the woods.  I started calling on the Stabber again.  Yet another fox came running in and ran off.  The deer were still moving.  I pulled out the Cass with the fawn distress on it and the deer ears went up.  I did that 3 times.  The deer started moving closer.  Back to the stabber.  I called for about 30secs. when something came out onto a path that borders the woods and a marsh area.  This figure was dark almost black.  I know it was of the K-9 species.  It was getting dark at this point and had no light.  I held the shot cause I wasn't sure if it was a coyote or a domestic dog.  I guess I'll just have to back up in a week or so to try again.

Now I have question.   What remote caller do you guys recommend, that is not a lot of money?  I have been looking at the Power Dogg from Primos.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:06:40 PM by Leglifter »
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
Re: The Late Evening Hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »
I really LIKE my Powerdogg...
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »
I ordered one right after the post.  I got it for $120.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »
$120 is not a bad price. They were $150 when they came out. Primos is very good if there should be a problem. They did call in some fox and a few yotes for me this winter.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 11:42:04 PM »
being its the off season. your more than welcome to borrow my fx3. you know where i work and live. lemme know and i'll get it charged for ya if ya wanna borrow it till you get something of your own.

great story, got a red fox den about 60yds behind my house. called in the kits and mamma last sat night to 20'...i can relate to the "up close and personal calling"...good fun!
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:19:45 PM »
Swarter2, have you tried your new power dog yet and if you have how well did it work? Does it have a lot of volume? Is it user friendly in the dark? Can you program sounds into it?
President PPHA

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:02:20 PM »
MB,

Took the Power Dogg out once during turkey season just to play with it.  The display on both the caller and remote light up and volume was good.  However, what sound there are, are what you get.  I'll be out with it more as I prepare for the archery season.

FYI - the crow frenzy on it works great.  I'll carry the caller in my work van and when ever I hear crows off in the distance.  I'll set it up about 50yds away and let work.  The crows will fly over with 10-12yds.  Shame I can't carry a shot gun with me.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 12:31:09 AM »
Another great feature, Bill, is that all the K-9 calls are bt Randy Anderson.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
How many calls come with it?
President PPHA

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »

coyote howl
coyote serenade
coyote challenge
female invite
cottontail distress
jack rabbit distress
pup distress
fawn distress
woodpecker distress
rodent distress
crow frenzy
snow goose
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
District 2

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:21:29 PM »
Thanks guys.
President PPHA

Offline DAVID1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
My one hunting partener has the power dog. He bought it we went one time and I took my western rivers also for back up. The woodpecker I thought sounded decent! He fumbled with the buttons alot the night constantly getting his flashlight.
 It may have been he was not used to it yet , I thought I would atleast put my cents in.