Author Topic: The way to end a season.  (Read 2643 times)

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
The way to end a season.
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:06:03 AM »
Went out hunting myself tonight and did 4 stands. The first 3 stands nothing . It started to snow so I thought 1 more stand to end the season. Walked into one of my favorite spots and turned the FX3 on with gray fox pup. Kneeled down to set the call down and when I stood back up within 10 seconds had eyes running towards me. It came to about 30 yards away and turned and went into some heavy brush. Started to lip squeak and after about 45 seconds it popped back out of the brush about 20 yards away and started towards me. Pulled up to shoot and turned the gun light on and back off (hit the button twice by mistake.) So thinking the light broke I shot with only using my head mounted light. Fox was only about 10 yards away when I shot. Walked over to get it and then walked back to the call. After about another 2 to 3 minutes seen a second set of eyes coming from the same place the first fox came from. Again about 30 to 40 yards away it turned and went into the heavy brush. Tried to lip squeak it back out but no luck in bringing it back out of the brush. So I guess I'll be leaving it for seed for next yr. But then again with a week to go yet in the season I may have to go and try for it also yet.

PPHA District 3

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The way to end a season.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Nice job

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:11:39 AM »
Nice job Jeff!
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:55:45 AM »
Great job!!

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:31 AM »
Awesome job! There was something special about lastnight. My first stand called in the first bobcat I've ever seen. Second stand, seen a coon in a tree but didn't want to shoot and risk blowing a shot at a predator. At the end of my sequence it was already inside the tree. Third stand, called in eyes. I believe it was a fox that I had called in 2 other times this last month
FayetteNam

Offline ysp1503

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
Nice fox

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 09:38:32 AM »
sounds like a good hunt.  WTG jeff. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:46:36 AM »
congrats Jeff.
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline mountainfox

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • '09-10 Bobcat
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »
WTG!  What a way to finish off the season!!
~mountainfox

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
congratulations on your success......Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 08:57:30 PM »
Glad to see someones getting results this time of year.Certainly can't say their young and dumb at this point. Congratulations!