Author Topic: Makeing a home made ecaller.  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
Makeing a home made ecaller.
« on: January 18, 2009, 12:43:22 PM »
homemade ecaller.

mini amp

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620

power horn speaker,any type of horn speaker will work.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104031

a  regular mp3 player.Not a ipod.
and a 3.5mm patch cable from radio shck,4 dollars.

this site shows a picture,and has dowloadable sounds.
I put the mp3 player,and amp, in a small box,and mount the speaker on top.Put a rope through the box,and your caller is done.

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

I will be makeing some cd's with real sounds,and will mail them out,as the sound file is like 200 mb.
It also has delayed sounds which let you set the speaker upwind,and gives you time to setup.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:49:43 PM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Makeing a home made ecaller.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
Pictures

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »
Outstanding

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
I made one of these last year...the only downfall I could see was that in extreme cold, the MP3 batteries failed within minutes.
Other than that it actually worked and sounded great
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »
Cant figure out why that would happen,many use them jogging etc.
Here is a pic of mine.It is mounted in a small metel box,lined with foam from a gun case.
It was even kicked in a creek by my nephew,on accident,and was playing when i pulled it out.
It will run 3 nights out on 1 aaa,and 1 9v.It will run in any weather flawless.It has a rubber seal around the wire coming out for the speaker,the mp3 and anp stay inside the box.My sounds are recorded with some silence in the beginings,depending how far downwind i need to go.So it kicks off and on according to the way i have the sound recorded.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 04:56:36 PM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 05:44:05 PM »
I basically have a similar setup...I hold the MP3 and the miniamp. And can use it just like that.

If I want louder sounds or the sounds "away" from me....I have the power horn but also have 100 feet of cable.
I used to carry it in a backpack and it only took a minute to run the horn out if I needed it.

I dont know why mine failed, except maybe the batteries would go dormant from the cold (it worked great during the fall) and as soon as I would take it back in to the warm, it would start preforming better.
Although I found out Foxpro's dont last real long in subzero temps either.  ;D

I do like how you have that little setup...I was considering trying to use some mic transmitters to make it a remote unit and do away with the cord.

I have seen them made out of those enormous thermal mugs also
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »
i have it recorded so you dont need a remote,some different type sequences with minutes between calls.It works ok for me.lol..and as you can tell it got beat up the last 2 years.I only had 2 foxpros,both non remote.Went hunting with a guy from WV. and he had his fixed up similar.I can email you some good sounds.I also put 25 seconds in front of the sounds so you can scroll through the sounds without them kicking on.I have another made in a heavy tupperware type square case.It has the mini amp mounted on top.You are right the little amp itself sounds real good with good recorded sounds.I get no noise at all just the sound.When it kicks off you can hold the speaker near your ear and hear nothing.My daughter recorded them with a studio type recording equipment.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:53:19 PM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »
I did similar with the silence....but had to rename the quiet parts with a 1 2 3 and so on......I used one of my kids old MP3's...I can page through them....but it gets difficult trying to look at the MP3 player and watch for eyes...lol

I actually have about 200 sounds between Western Rivers, and other sites that had downloadable sounds.
Even put a couple on an old FoxPro for a buddy of mine.....then he goes and buys a new Fury...LOL
But thanks for the offer.

Someone made mention about putting sounds on the website....I think thats a great idea.
Guess we'd just have to watch copyrighted stuff though

I rarely even use my homemade caller, mainly due to the guys I hunt with all have Foxpros or I use alot of handcalls. (better when your partner calls   ;D)
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline bigt

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 11:46:53 PM »
Put a hand warmer in when the mp3  that will help the bat