Author Topic: Biggest Peeve I have....Buck season...  (Read 4576 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Biggest Peeve I have....Buck season...
« on: November 27, 2012, 05:22:43 AM »
When I was 12 years old...52 hunting seasons ago....my father said to me, "Boy after your sure he's down and dead...unload your firearm, safely, next sit down, calm down and fill out your tag...and afix it...then the work begins gutting and getting it home"...I am almost certain that I know of at least 5 deer going home yesterday with no tags. I know of at least one individual who posted his buck, on FB, in archery who was out yesterday, I'm waiting to see if we have a FB picture to prove it. I would hope anyone reading this post is above all this, but if you aren't you don't belong here. These people should have a special Club called Sleaze Bag Hoofties & Hogs...JMO....Please save me the "call the PGC"...I gave that up 10yrs ago from lack of response....any way, that's my peeve, those that can't abide by the limits and tagging requirements..off the soap box back to hunting.... >:( >:( >:(... 8)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: Biggest Peeve I have....Buck season...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:12:03 AM »
I agree 100% with your thoughts. Hunters have become hogs and I use the word "Hunters" very loosely. The antler restriction sounds like a good thing of paper but at what cost? people are killing more than one deer, using other tags to get out of the woods with, using mentored tags on bow kills and smaller deer, ect. I know for a fact that someone without a furtakers lic told me they killed 4 fox a couple seasons ago and one kid that I was talking to at Tractor Supply took a shot out of his treestand at a gray fox before the season opened and without the proper license. Poaching and finding beheaded deer are the payoff for the "real hunters: passing on them to let them grow. I shot one yesterday just to get out of the woods. People ruin the hunting enjoyment for a lot of us. The one season hunter ruin it for the all season people because they don't care what mark they leave on the woods and the impression it leaves for the land owners. people sneaking into private land. You name it, as far as deer hunting goes, I almost hate it because of the people that it recruits to the woods. Just selfish HOGS that kill as much as they can at brag to people.
FayetteNam

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »
Agree...I would love to kill a second buck but only if I had a legal tag to do it. Many people kill as many bucks as possible or keep hunting for a bigger one than they already got. Now, I patiently wait for next year's archery season when I can get out and hunt without running into people and deer are in their normal routine of life.

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:57:53 AM »
Pred77...how do you tie antler restrictions to poaching?

A poacher is a poacher....no matter what the other people have to abide by.  Reminds me of the Gun Control efforts...they don't seem to get that a thug will get a gun no matter what the law says.

And Jaspr1, as far as giving up on reporting violations that you know about because of lack of response, you are absoloutely guaranteeing that nothing will be done by not reporting.

In the time that you posted this, you could have called the regional office and reported what you saw.

If you are going to infer that the GC is unresponsive, you need to at least give them a chance to respond.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:49:06 AM »
I didn't infer anything...I said it straight out...

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »
That's fine...doesn't change the fact that complaining on the internet will not give the GC any chance to right the wrong.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
I put them together because poacher aren't killing does for food, they are killing bucks for bone. Most sportsman pass on younger buck for the reason the antler restriction was introduced. Poachers are out killing the biggest bucks they can find and killing more than one a season. That's how "I" tie them together. the right people aren't benefiting all the time. Slobs are out using multiple tags or none at all in order to fill some impression that the hunt is all about the trophy. I really didn't think my statement needed explanation. As far as calling the GC. Doing the right thing at times is worse than letting the appropriate people do their job. I reported illegal activity one time and they wanted to know if I'd go to court. I said no, I have to live by these people and you get paid to investigate illegal claims. Suspiciously, What had been going on for 20 years and that first day of the Pa rifle season ended about 2 hours earlier than when the GC showed up....WOW! maybe they got a tip. I don't know but I'm not going to put my life or my families life on the line to convict someone when I won't get the same funeral as the law enforcement who chose their profession. It might sound cold but at the end of the day the cops and WCO go home and we are left to live next to these people 24/7. Anonymous tips I guess aren't looked into.
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »
Its FayetteCong

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:40:30 AM »
Well maybe I was just lucky to have a good experience this year.....I know of a report that was made that resulted in arrests and loss of license of several who were hunting illegally.

The good guys DO win once in a while.......

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:04:24 AM »
Well good for you...I would like to clarify that I was not trying to impugn the integrity of every WCO in Pa., I was venting on the lack of it by our fellow sportsmen. Each individual will have their own opinion of the PGC based on the facts as they see them...I base my opinion on personal experience both as a sportsman and as a former Cap Gun Deputy......P77 has a good point about getting to involved less you get a brick through your window or your barn burned down......

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
WCO's do look into Anonymous tips, but its difficult to find what is needed for probable cause. I do not reveal my sources (and very seldom are they needed for trial) but it helps immensely if the investigating officer has a first count witness to speak to.
Most tips come in with little to no evidence and most is a "I heard from so and so that so and so at the butcher shop said this other guy killed a lot of bucks this year." Thats very little to go on. And if we just start asking around, before you know it, the suspect changes his routine because he knows we're looking for him.
I actually had one report suggesting I just barge in a guys house and go check his freezer...yep I'll just ignore that little thing called the Constitution which mandates that police have PC before a search warrant is issued.
If someone has first hand information, the best advice is to ask to speak to an officer and just explain that youd like to keep your name out of it if possible. Sometimes its not possible.
And yes I understand having to live near poachers, I do too, but in the end, I dont care what their opinion of me is, and I dont frighten easily. Basically if theyre a wildlife violator, I dont care if they dont like me, any respect I may of had for them went with their first poaching incident.
Please dont take this as me being on a high horse or accusing anyone of not stepping up, not my intention. Just trying to explain what is usually needed for a good investigation and prosecution.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:06:06 PM by Lifes2fun »
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
I have to live by these people and you get paid to investigate illegal claims. Suspiciously, What had been going on for 20 years and that first day of the Pa rifle season ended about 2 hours earlier than when the GC showed up....WOW! maybe they got a tip. I don't know but I'm not going to put my life or my families life on the line to convict someone when I won't get the same funeral as the law enforcement who chose their profession. It might sound cold but at the end of the day the cops and WCO go home and we are left to live next to these people 24/7.
\\

Well said! My neighbor killed his 5th buck last week. A massive 8 pointer with heavy beams and long tines. Yes, it upsets me...But I value my life and have a wife and 2 small boys. With no video or recorded evidence I see no way it would do any good to contact the pgc based upon past experiences. For example, I was driving in my dad's woods one evening and came across foot prints in the snow between the end of deer season and Christmas. I followed the tracks to a gut pile and followed the drag trail right to a guy's house. I called the pgc. Two deputies showed up and I wasted almost the whole night answering their questions and showing them around without any violations filed against the wildlife poacher. It did no good whatsoever to call the pgc. I lost almost a whole night of sleep over the deal.  If thats not enough evidence then I give up.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 06:52:30 AM »
Nightmare if you felt frustrated you should try to imagine how it feels to have the badge and not be able to get anything done.....that's why I resigned, got tired wasting my time. Up until 10yrs ago when I moved to my present home I was still getting the finger salute and deer hides in my front yard from some of these single digit IQ poachers and I haven't been a Deputy since 1981...(Following is what started this rant)....I was in the vicinity of Dix Hill sgl170 on the 1st day...an individual approached me and told me of 2 individuals (1 was his cousin) who had taken an untagged deer from around the deer pit area...Did you report this??? I asked...Well no I thought you might know somebody...No! I don't exchange Christmas cards with anybody at the PGC......I know his pathetic cousin in a casual way, so armed with curiosity I went there to see for myself...sure enough there was said unfortunate buck almost totally deboned and untagged.....don't pee your pants boys you know I don't have a badge, they looked relieved.....the next day these 2 moved their operation from Duncannon to Blain and a helpful Ranger actually showed them a spot to hunt....They didn't get anything else,I know because I kept track. I did take an oath!   If I called PGC that day, this may or may not have been a good bust and what do you really have? Untagged deer w/2 people w/tags...so make one use tag and try to bluff for a fine...if they want a hearing the Dist. Mag. has to determine if info was legally obtained to warrant prosecution. That little thing about how everybody got here today,like L2F says,probable cause and all that... No matter the outcome here, reality version of Hatfield&McCoys starts in the Paradise area. Who ratted them out??? Have to check the family tree for bad wood.....better than an arrest maybe...lol... God forbid they pick the wrong person to vent on...just sayin...and all over a deer.... 8)