Author Topic: 2014 Trout Season  (Read 5811 times)

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
2014 Trout Season
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »
Who's gearing up for this years trout season?  I definitely am, while I wait for the ice and snow to melt, I've made up some brass spinners for this season (pictured below ~ 2" 1/16 oz).  Rods and reels restrung.  My trigger finger slowly turning into a casting finger.

Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: 2014 Trout Season
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
They look good bud! I'm still in shooting mode but this trout season I'm going to focus more on getting the boys out on the creek banks, they are more excited than ever to start.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) Guess I need to make up some ¼ sticks, better know as fishin made easy  :o :o :o :o

Ground is still cold and the worms aren't up to digging level yet....but soon :-\ :-\ :-\ I be likin the black headed worms  :o :o :o not crawlers  >:( >:( >:( Crawlers be for bassin.. :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »
 :D :D :D Ahhhh man can you hear them jumpin and floppin??? Yep it be the fishermen slippin and slidin on the stream banks and fallin in!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »
Good luck to those lucky enough to live near the early season streams.  We're under a winter storm warning for tomorrow.  I wonder if mother nature knows its spring?
Scott Morgan
District 3

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »
 :) :) Anyone worried about the stocked trout not being scattered  ??? ??? ??? has no worries now ??? ??? the streams are all way up and muddy as can be  :o :o :o Feeshin will not be very good for several days  :-\ :-\ That's today's trout season report and I'm sticken to it!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
The fishing wasn't that good yesterday. The boys had a blast and caught a couple so fishing in the rain was worth it.
Darin Hosier
Pro Staff

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) Glad to hear the kids had fun...that's all that matters  ;D ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:50:56 PM »
 :o :o :o Streams looked empty today but the water level was high :P :P :P water wasn't as cloudy as yesterday ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »
Scott, want to sell some of those spinners?  Let me know.  I would like six of each spoon style.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 11:48:30 AM »
Those are nice lookin baits. Before I got into fly fishing I use to do well on a Swiss swing, kinda similar design.

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »
Yeah, they are kinda like CP swings also, but they are hard to find so small.  Also they were just brass.  I am selling if any would like some.
Scott Morgan
District 3

Joshua Boston

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
One and a wake-up.  Hitting the Genesee and possibly Pine Creek.  Will post some pics if the gettins good.  Our streams are still a bit cold so I don't think the action will be all that, keeping my fingers crossed.  At least it won't be raining or snowing (knock on wood). 

If anyone else has any luck be sure to post some of your pics also.

Here is some from last year just to get the juices flowing.

Scott Morgan
District 3

Joshua Boston

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
Well it started off as a cold morning, just above freezing as we left the warmth of our house.  The daughter and I made our way to a section of river that produced well for me last year just as the sun was coming up.  I was glad to see that this section of the Genesee river was pretty much ours, not another soul in sight, maybe the cold weather kept them inside till the sun came up. 

The river temp was hovering about 45 degrees, the mild showers we had yesterday probably helped to some degree.  Because of the cool weather I thought we would have a slow start but what we experienced was worse than what I expected.  My daughter had one on line but not to hand about an thirty minutes into our foray of my honey hole.  I was striking out.  This wasn't going well and I though my daughter would lose interest.

About an hour and half into our fishing I decided to move upstream and we would cast into some holes I knew existed but never produced fish.  I moved from my homemade spinner to one of my goto Joe's flies.  My daughter was fishing Trout Magnets.  We came to one section of the river that spread out into a calm pool which never produced fish me, never. 

My first cast was struck as the lure hit the water and produced a good size brook trout.  I was surprised as all get out that this hole now had fish in it.  My daughter cast into the pool and she too had a fish on as soon as her pink magnet hit the water.  I decided to leave my pole out of this pool and let my daughter fish it.  Between her and I we had about a dozen fish to hand and released, all brookies,  about half a dozen never made it to hand.  About an hour into the fishing we decided to keep at least four of the largest we caught.  It ended up being a good morning as the late comers began moving into our fishing hole.  We decided to call it a morning and head home for lunch.  The daughter ended up enjoying the fishing, though her casting could use some improvement.

We forgot to bring the camera with us so we ended up taking pics at home.

Scott Morgan
District 3

Joshua Boston

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 12:20:27 PM »
Good job Scott!
Darin Hosier
Pro Staff