Author Topic: dump cake/cobbler  (Read 4330 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
dump cake/cobbler
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
This is something I normally do in the dutch oven but is easily done in a household oven.  pretty simple to make

one can of pie fillings
one box of cake mix
two sticks of butter.
cake pan the 9x13" size. 

if I am cooking in a dutch oven I will heat it up and take one stick of butter and rub the inside of the oven down where the cake will be.  mostly the bottom.  if I am using a cake pan I do the same but I don't heat the pan up. 

if your doing it in the oven set the temp at 375.

dump the can of pie filling into the cake pan and spread it out a bit.  I dump it in the center and normally it covers all but the outside 2" of the pan which is perfectly fine. 

dump the box of cake mix on top of the filling and level it out in the pan.  Then i take the two sticks of butter and slice it into pads and scatter them across the top of the dry cake mix. 

stick it in the oven and bake for an hour or till a tooth pick comes out clean and the top gets browned a bit. 

you can use any kind of flavors you want but here are some of the favs I have. 

yellow cake mix and peach pie filling. 
yellow cake mix and apple pie filling
white cake mix and blueberry pie filling
another one I do is two yellow cake mix box's, one can of crushed pineapple and one can of blueberry and then put brown sugar on top. 
add a scoop of your fav ice cream for cobbler ala mode.   
and its a good one to get the kids in on to help. 

here is one pic I snapped before it was all gone. 

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: dump cake/cobbler
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
I can vouch for it.  It's GOOD!!
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:40:46 PM »
Me too!!! :D

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
Yep Ben needs to depart his machine shop job and become a cater..  Kind of like a person who you could hire and make an event more like an outdoor shore lunch or grub that sticks to your ribs after a hunt or fishing trip..
Bens Catfish,  Bens Stuffed Poppers, Bens Cobbler, etc etc etc..
 Wow!!!!Two sticks of butter!!!!!!!!That's going to give you that dreaded TB...Two Bellies!   Ah that's what you need on your ribs to put up with this cold weather.. By the way....Here in SCPA they are calling for the low Monday to be 7 degrees.. Wonder what the wind chill will make it?  Maybe I need some of the cobbler If I decide to hunt that day?.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:31:14 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »
I doubt I will ever be a caterer.  but one rule don't ever trust a skinny cook.   ;)
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:27:05 AM »
I have had on two occasions now enjoyed the cookery of Ben and his family too. Good down to earth stick to your rib food for sure...
Of course you know how I always say about that 180 pound cottontail rabbit that breaks through the crusty snow... I think if I had more of the stick to your rib food daily I' be saying "call where it's legal when crusty snow prevails , predators know there are no 250 pound cottontail rabbits!"   LOL  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:28:19 AM by uncle buck »