Author Topic: catfish recipes  (Read 4382 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
catfish recipes
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
been doing a bunch of catfishing.  two recipes I have found I like is just the plain old pan fried and one I just started doing.  I pan fry the catfish till it is allmost done.  then dump a can of medium salsa on it.  then let it simmer for ten or so minutes.  I then use a microwave bag of rice and stick some of that on a plate and then the catfish over top.  I chunk all my catfish up to.  It makes it easier to cook through all the way and even.  I season with plain old cajun seasoning I get from karns foods.  and use house autry seafood mix for the breading.    the salsa one tastes allmost like chicken when done.  I really like to do this on the bigger cats because they tend to be more "fishy" tasting.  the ones that are 18" long are ones that get the 375 treatment though in a half inch of oil. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: catfish recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
I like rolling the fillets or chucks in egg, then battering them in zatterans <- spelling? breading. They come in a yellow and blue bag at walmart for 97cents. You can do a whole bunch of fish in this one bag. They taste amazing when they come out of the deep fryer, serve with waffle fries...and you have something a little better than fish and chips...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »
Is it my understanding that these formulas will be available for tasting at the EXPO??? ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:58:34 AM »
doubt it.  I dont have any in the freezer and I have no time to catch any now.  busy the next few weekends.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
ha ya sept is stacked for me as well...i may get out one more time...cuz dad says he's going to use his liscens i bought him for his birthday...i'll try and get some for the expo tho!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 11:29:22 AM »
I might try to sneak a few sunday trips in but those nights are kinda filled up with other ppha bussiness now.  LOL.  next friday I am heading down fishing with another fella I know for a few hours if we do well i might keep a few.  but lately I have been throwin em all back.  the bigguns are hitting now.  last weekend I was catching all 5lb fish and bigger.  two 7lbrs and a 8lbr as well and I was using stinkbait.  I think if I would have had some decent sized cut bait out there I would have done better.