Author Topic: alot or a little?  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
Re: alot or a little?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
Did the trapper use baits himself. Maybe he has a bait pile that he use to get the dogs coming around his traps. So maybe there is more than 1 food source.
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

uncle buck

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
Did the trapper use baits himself. Maybe he has a bait pile that he use to get the dogs coming around his traps. So maybe there is more than 1 food source.

Quite competitive.... He could be putting something near your bait pile to keep the coyotes away..Such is life but there are people like that...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 04:57:46 AM »
TM & UB, 223 stated the trapper caught 9 canines! The trapper did his job and doesn't have time to mess with other folks while running and mantaining a trapline.
At this time, I think the population is depleated on this property and why trail cam and bait site isn't getting hits.
Using/placing bait piles can be an art at times and one must know what's happening in the area or township.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »
I personally know the guy that caught all those dogs on this property. He an I talk all the time and bump into each other from time to time checkin traps on neighboring properties. He is 63 yrs old an has been trappin since he was 5. He would never do such a thing as intentionally taint the bait pile. He ain't that kinda person. I have actually learned a lot from him. He's one of those old timers that has probably forgot more than I will learn in the next ten yrs. I don't think any kind of bait is gonna stand against over 50 yrs experience.........................

uncle buck

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »
Sounds like the old trapper is a true sportman.. Nice when you meet people like that.  Learn from them and they are just good!!!