Author Topic: alot or a little?  (Read 4829 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
alot or a little?
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »
I got permission to start a bait pile for fox an yote. I have an unlimited supply of deer parts as well as dead turkeys from the landowners turkey barns. My question is this, should I put out as much stuff as I can get or put out just enough to keep them interested? I never used bait before cuz I didn't hav a place to use it. Any thoughts?

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: alot or a little?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
I would try to wire the bigger pieces to sonthing so they cant drag it off.  Later when it gets colder put the bait in buckets add water and let it freeze.  Dump out the block o bait,  it will keep them working it longer.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »
I dont think you can hunt fox over bait.  Not positive though.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:46:47 AM »
Making bait piles and maintaining piles is work. Bait 'em heavy to start, because one can get lazy or busy with other activities.
If you can find a groundhog hole or series of groundhog holes in the right spot to give you the advantage of setup and approach, then stuff 'em in the holes, This will keep bait in place longer. I do like to bury large bait.
You can wire larger bait to saplings or brush. I alway cover larger bait above ground. Just my personal choice to hide it.
I like to feed 'em. By that, have smaller stuff around (combined with large bait) so they can eat small amounts and feel comfortable being there.
If the critter population is good to high and you are on location, they will work bait piles. It's sorta like trapping, and one starts to second guess if critters aren't reponding. At times, one may have to wait until extreme weather conditions prevail until Coyotes hit the piles. I never saw a starving Coyote in  Pennsylvania.
Making and maintaining bait piles is an art. Chose locations to your advantage along with 'being on location' for Coyotes. Have the ability 'to see' what's happening , plus 'why' and 'when' it's happening.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 04:51:12 AM »
You can't hunt Fox over bait, you can't hunt Bear over bait.
But the past few days, I would bet a weeks pay, that many Bear were killed over or near 'Coyote bait piles'.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:28:34 AM »
Sorry just force of habit sayin fox an yote in the same sentance. I havent seen a fox on this farm all summer, just lots of yotes and yote tracks an yote crap.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 07:08:11 PM »
Ok I'm confused now. We have been using a bait pile for about 3 weeks now with a trail cam watching it since we started it. We have deer,geese,duck,rabbit on the pile we have been getting from a taxidermist buddy. The only pictures we have gotten so far is of a bunch of crows an a local trapper pullin the deer hides outta the pile. No grinners,fox or yote at all.  What gives?

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:50:30 PM »
The local trapper tainted your set..!!!!!

What the problem truly is that there are no coyotes in the area......YET....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:51:42 PM by uncle buck »

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »
But I have seen yotes all summer, had two pull out of traps an called in two for other people and they both missed within 400 yards of where we put the pile......?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »
sounds like they are there to me, are you seeing fresh tracks and scat?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:07:46 PM by Leglifter »

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »
Yea but like I said, nothin near the pile. We have changed the angle of the cam three times thinkin we might not have had it positioned right and still nothin. My buddy that put the cam up has other cams on the property and has gotten a few pics of yote on them .......

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »
Don't even bother.  You have better odds calling them.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Thirty Cal

• Aim small, miss small!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »
I've hunted in Bradford County on a friends 400 acres for the past 6 years having made several trips every year to the property. I've never seen a coyote, bobcat, fox, possum, coon or bear on the place.
I put out a trail cam overlooking a dead calf from a local dairy and we have pics of coyote, bear, coon, bobcat, fox, possum, buzzards and crows coming in to the bait.
I have zero doubt that if you want to know what's in an area, you have to use bait.
District 2 but will hunt anywhere, even my home state of MD.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 04:53:17 AM »
223-
There is no guarantee's by placing bait and hang'n a camera.
Location is key. Having patience is key.
Try making another pile on key location and see how that gets worked. If this is your first time or first few times to bait, you may have more to learn about Coyotes. You may be off location or have to wait for extreme conditions.
Usually during extreme cold spells or heavy snow cover, Coyotes will work bait piles, in my area.
Long term (year 'round) bait piles have Coyote visit on regular basis.
Past few months, Coyotes had mild weather and easy live'n. Plus, many Coyotes are already killed off, gone from trapping, Deer hunters and callers.
It's hard to see your problem from here.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
I talked to one of the other guys that traps that property an he said he has taken 5 reds and 4 yotes off that farm in the last month so he definately decreased our odds of baitin anythin in on that property. It has been unseasonably warm around here and I see your point hern about havin to wait till it finally gets cold to see anything. The farmer does not allow people to drive on the property so unless we wanna carry bags of critter parts over 160 acres, I think we might just call it quits an just stick to callin