Author Topic: Uncle Buck...  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Uncle Buck...
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »
What's pop'n up in our backyard?
Four different types today. Can I eat any of these?

1)

2)

3)

4)

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Uncle Buck...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:36:08 PM »
First one looks like a puffball
the second is a blusher, I think
the third looks nasty

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »
First off if you use any kind of grub killers  or weed killer on your lawn you can't eat any of them...However some of those are deadly poison..The amanitas..They will kill you...The only ones that would be edible are puff balls...They have to be pure white inside.  If they are black or brown they are either too old or poison.

Photo 2 might a Panters or members of the Cort family. Panters are deadly poison. Only Blewits which resembles members of the Cort family are edible..Not sure if these are Blewits or not...
Photos 5 and 6 are poison.
Photos1, 3, 4 might be puff balls that are edible but it's better to find these in a farmers field if your going to eat....Small ones you have to slice right in two to see if there is a vulva inside.. It could be a baby deadly Destroying Angel (Amanita). Giant Puff Balls are the best bet (easy to ID)..They are outstanding dipped in milk and egg and fried like french toast.  Just make sure they are pure white inside and at least the size of your fist or larger....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:53:55 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
Thanks.
Naw, am not eating 'em, but these pop up from time to time.
Thanks again.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »
Better off eating the pine cone. ;D
FayetteNam

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »
I'm off to Giant Eagle to buy some Moonlight mushrooms. Other that a little BS that needs washed off, there edible. YUM YUM
President PPHA

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:00:45 AM »
   "Better off eating the pine cone." LOL ... I liked that!!! ;D :D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 12:32:17 PM »

Pictures 5 and 6 could be either a Panther or a Jewel Amanita (Aminita gemmata). The Panther is Highly DEADLY poison while the Jeweled Amanita is not edible. To even make this mushroom worse there is one called a Blusher (Amanita rubescens) that is edible. But since they look like the two inedible and one being highly poisonous it's best to leave these mushroom alone! There is other things to consider too...One is only grows West of the Rockies. However in this day in age who can say if they now are in Pennsylvania. See it's just best to let these alone.. I THINK I know what it is but I would never even attempt to eat this particular mushroom because I THINK... I'm not 100% sure. Just the idea that it could be the PANTHER and not the edible Blusher makes me shy away from the Deadly aminita family.. However the Blusher is one of the few mushroom in the Amanita family that is edible with cooking...
As you all know you could take a spore print and see what color the spore print would be on mushrooms.. Cut a piece of 8 X 10 white paper to a 5 X 7 sheet of white paper... Take and 8 X 10 piece of black construction paper. Lay the 5 X 7 white paper on top of the black paper.. This makes two  5 X 7 test areas. One side white and one side black.. Lay the cap of the mushroom gill side down on the test area..Half laying on the black side, the other half laying on the white side... Most cases does not take long maybe and hour. The spore color of the mushroom transfers to the black side if the spore are white or light in color and to the white side if the color of the spores are brown...

Also one can take a microscope and look at the gills of a mushroom to determine what family and what it is.. This is getting to scientific but that how the scientist do it with a microscope...Now I have a microscope but would have to read up do you look for the shape of the gills or do you see the color of the spore when using the microscope?????