Author Topic: trapping fun  (Read 1898 times)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
trapping fun
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:56:05 AM »
I set out a trap line on Saturday. Having lots of fun, but have a ton of fur work to do. Sunday morning I got 8 coon and 5 muskrats. Lost a coon and had a guy run me off a property I had permission to trap on. GRRRRR. These guys that get all they want from little on up just don't care about others. I pulled my traps at that place because the guy was the type to do a 'set up' on you and the game commission would be only too happy to write out a fine even though I have been 'set up'. Didn't trust the guy or trying to explain to a game warden (worse case scenario) so I just pulled my traps at that place. Monday morning I had 3 coon and 4 muskrats. This morning my catch was 5 coon 2 muskrats and 1 mink. I have only been trapping in the water and need to pull my traps in a day or so to get ready for deer season in Ohio since I am done in pa. I have been catching too many critters any how and can't spend much time with my little 11.5 month old boy. I know I need to post pics....will try and get them taken and posted when I have everything on strechers.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
Re: trapping fun
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
I have a suggestion for you. Every place I get permission to hunt or trap I have the landowner sign a written permission form. No matter if I've been there 5 yrs or 5 days. I have them sign a new one every year. I have the date permission was given, the property address, land owners name and signature and what game I have been given permission to tunt or trap. As well as the landowners phone number. I keep all of these in a three ring binder in the back of my truck. Sometimes sadly to say, landowners have family or "friends" that only come around every now and then and don't know or even ask the landowners if anyone else has been given permission to be there. This way next time someone trys to run you off, you can show them that piece of paper and there ain't nothin more they can say to you. This also helps with the over eager game wardens that might stop you and ask your buisness on a Sunday afternoon as you check your traps so you don't have to bother the landowner. I've had more than one nosey neighbor stop me in the middle of the night hunting fox or yote an havin that paper saved a lot of aggravation.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:53:10 AM »
Good job, nice catch, coyotenightmare. Good luck Deer hunting.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 07:56:12 AM »
Yeah prdtr killr I need to start doing that. I could of kept trapping there but was worried of theft and worse if I did. This guy has a reputation in the community for "falling out' with everyone. Keeping a folder with me like you mentioned would help a lot. Also, I know I should be spraying my catch with tick killer and putting the animals in a bag to kill ticks. Still haven't done that and had two ticks in me the other night. One was a deer tick, and the other one of the bigger ticks. Hate them critters. Thanks Hern