Author Topic: startin to get a little disapointed  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
startin to get a little disapointed
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
got sets out on good sign for coon, and no connections thus far this week :( ....setting more tomorrow, and i've got some dp's on the way to set near some of the standing corn that is nearby...coon trapping up here is a whole different ball game then my farm creeks down home...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: startin to get a little disapointed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »
Ive been told the coons havent moved down to the creeks just yet.  I get mine in the fields.  What sets and baits are you useing?

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
yeah there isn't much standing corn around here anymore and with the coon tracks in the mud at the creeks i figured i'd set there lil early...fresh whole trout from the hatchery and some carp fillets...carmans coon bait, anise bait, and a different coon lure at each set, i can't remember all of them...i wanted to ask you though, are you setting your pvc's in the fields? you're punching them in at 45 degree angle right? i got a bunch of those cut right now because you can't dig a pocket in these banks for a chit...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
I use them in the fields.  I put them on an angle not quite 45°.  They work great for me.  I bait with jack mac.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
got a skunk this morning...haha 3 years trapping this is my first...you boys got a way to skin one of these without making myself and everything i use smell like skunk? tomorrow i'm going to dunk'em in the creek and leave'm there for a day or so, i hear that takes away a bit of the stench? i would have injected him, but i don't have the tools, so I just shot him/her
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
you can run to the pet store and get some spray to get rid of the smell.  or you can mix dish soap, baking soda, and peroxide.  not sure on the ratio anymore. 

take your time when skinning them.  best bet is to leave a good patch of fur around the butt hole.  you can use the carcuss for yote bait.  just Barrie it.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
Critterslayer,Don't get frustrated yet.There is still a lot of food out there and the coon aren't to desperate yet.Have you ever tried any clam oil or shellfish oil?You can use it as a primary lure or as a trailing scent to bring them to your set if your a little off base with location.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:52:51 PM by foxtrot »

Claybird

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »
trapper scaired of stink haha

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
trapper lives in buddies house doesn't want to get buddies basement/surrounding arear outside smelling like a skunk  ;)
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »
i've found some standing corn up the valley from the hatchery that we own I've just found out, and i've got keys to the gates, so i'll be setting there hopefully tomorrow after work....if i'm not too tired, we're stocking 2900 lbs of trout tomo...yay
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
Give them hell !

Offline glowneyes

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »
I put 15 dog proof traps out October 30th and have caught 7 coons, 4 opossums, 1 skunk and a squirrel. Try cat food mixed with molassas, brown sugar, kayro syrup and fish oil. I've had good success with the Dukes but have my Alcatraz traps stripped 7 times without going off!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
i feel as if the trigger on the alcatraz is pretty stiff, but they're made to go off once the coon trys to go around the trigger, maybe some stickier bait or a big enough piece that they can't move past the trigger? i've only got one out so far because i had to leave town this weekend, but will be setting all of them near the corn's edge and in an apple orchard
              "CritterDone"

Offline glowneyes

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
Had 2 more stripped last night! I guess I'm going to have to take them apart and file down the trigger release inside. Haven't had a Duke stripped yet.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »
I set over the weekend and only caught one XL coon in a fox post set :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member