Author Topic: Mink trapping  (Read 2314 times)

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
Mink trapping
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »
This year i started mink trapping and had a blast doing it. i caught several, one of which was a 26" male. minks can be difficult to trap because their trails are often hard to spot to an untrained eye but once you know what you're looking for the fun part begins. I use a combination of blind sets, 110 conibears and pocket sets. One thiing that you'll learn is that the pocket doesn't even have to be bated to catch a mink. they are so curiouse that when running along the creek they willll peak their head in nearly every hole they pass to look for food. Another good thing about mink trapping is that they are incredibly easy to skin and you can get a pretty good price for their furs. you'd be supprised by how small of creeks you can catch them in too. one female that i caught was in a creek only about 2 feet accross. in the fall take time to look for tracks in soft mud on creek banks to locate where they're at.

Offline predator1

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Mink trapping
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:22:27 AM »
I was looking for beaver sign on Kettle Creek in Potter Co. this past Saturday and saw 3 mink.They are a blast to watch.They were in the water as much as on land.The creek was rolling pretty good but the mink would jump in -ride it down a little and then come out.Pretty cool to watch-should of had a video camera.Didn,t find much sign but did get 1 small beaver on a castor mound set.Beautiful weekend to be in the north mountains. yuha wan waste anpetu!-Lloyd

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
i've wanted to try some bever trapping for a while but theres none in my area, but i might try some in a creek where i know theyre at in mifflin county at my cabin. r they pretty tough to skin and that?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
Not hard to skin but the bigger ones are a little tough to flesh around the lower back