Author Topic: Cable restraints  (Read 18182 times)

uncle buck

Re: Cable restraints
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
Yes I do and I did learn this from Hern to use baking soda........Some people boil them in the baking soda.. I don't.. Some people also paint them brown or white...I don't!!! I do draw me a little map where each is located on each property   and I will put a small I mean a small piece of orange tape close to where each cable is too..Sometimes the wind knocks them down or deer knock them down and your looking for a set cable and they are laying on the ground..Caution you..if the orange tape is to big someone will mess with your restraints.. I had a kid....One that was trapping the same farm pull three of my cables restraints.. He told this person that snares were not legal.. I could have hung it too him but I figured the landowner who allows me to hunt predators and small game and trap would be upset if I got this 16 year old kid fined...I did have him talk to the boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:51:09 PM by uncle buck »

Renny

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 03:24:31 PM »
I agree with Hern... and also like to use a chin lift.

uncle buck

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
The height of the loop can also be determine by the terrain too.. Like a trail going up the hill or a trail going down the hill.. I love to use the momentum of a fox going down a hill to catch them in cable restraints.. You will have to think OK when this fox or a coyote reaches this point just where will his or her head be..IMO as it goes down the trail from and elevation it will most likely lower it's head... I also like to set a cable restraint on corners that separate a field from let say higher grass. Also if there is a wood pile near by I know the fox will be checking that wood pile out so that coming around the corner set gets them... They are going to check the wood out for prey or piles of brush.. So..they will be coming along the bend between the two covers...Even a restraint set on a path to the wood pile or brush piles is awesome too.  Start to think like a fox not just go out and lay cable anywhere......

Renny

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 04:03:03 PM »
You think totally opposite of me UB.....  How in the heck do you set a trail where they're only going down hill???

I want a fox or coyote moving... not hunting.  I want a fairly straight run with nothing to slow them down.  I don't want them pussyfooting along, ie your trail to the brishpile set, although I just use baitpiles.

uncle buck

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
You think totally opposite of me UB.....  How in the heck do you set a trail where they're only going down hill???

I set them at the bottom of the hill too.. Namely farm ponds...They have to drink water.. So restraint just on the down hill side and one at the bottom of the path.. I will use more then one cable on a trail

Here is a catch at the bottom of a farm pond.. looking at he picture the left side starts to climb up to the main pond...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:23:18 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
Here is a catch at the top of the hill.. He knocked down quite a bit of the high grass but it was starting to slope down into the ravine below:

uncle buck

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
This would be the wood pile and the bend at the corner of the field set: Caught this red as it turned the corner of the field and coming along the side.. Again thinking like a red fox... How would I come to the wood pile? Probably come along the field and take the bend. oops what was that around my neck?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:37:09 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »
I allways feel bad for an animal in a trap. I hate to see it suffer and i hate to look into its eyes and tell it i am about to kill you. I guess i'm gettting old . NO, i'm not a bunny hugger. Great pictures. LOL
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:41:23 PM by foxpro51 »

Renny

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »
They look alot like my locations... ;)

Renny

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »
Foxpro51 -- You are an antis best friend.....

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 06:59:03 PM »
Renny I think there is a need for trapping. It's the history of this country. It just bothers me. I like to hunt them at night but trapping an't me.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
FP51 they suffer no more than your dog does when you put its leash on.
Look at UB's pics, they're not even panting

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
Foxpro51 -- You are an antis best friend.....
+1
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 05:40:44 PM »
Yah i think a fox in a restraint is no different than a dog in a leash as long as its around its neck and the wire don't get really kinked. with one fox when i got up to it the restraint was kinked at the slider thing so it didn't allow the restraint to relax, and the fox was dead :-/. that was the only time that i ever even had one that the fox was in any discomfort. them foxes are tough as hunn to skin when theyre cold tho lol.