Author Topic: Cable restraints  (Read 18180 times)

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
Cable restraints
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
This summer i completed the test for cable restraints at the starview club in york. I didn't have a chance to put out a ton of sets because of school and sports but i did catch about 10 foxes with them. I was wondering what height is best for areas where there is just foxes and what height is best for areas where there are coyotes also. Most of the foxes that i did catch were at a height of 7 inches. I know that there is coyotes in the area also because of scat and tracks that i encountered while checking the restraints. my goal for next year is to catch my first coyote and grey fox in a restraint. Any tips will be appreciated.

uncle buck

Re: Cable restraints
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »
Go by your book they gave you...If there is coyotes and fox in the area make sure the loops are the size for coyotes.. You might catch a few fox a bit farther back behind the neck.. Like even behind one of  leg at the shoulder or even the torso.... The distance from the ground does not really mean anything other then to have non targeted animals pass under.. Skunks, possums, It's the loop size.. By the way I have caught coyotes in cable restraints when i thought only fox were around.. So it might be good to go with the larger loop.. I caution you however the larger the loop that also means you might catch a deer... As you now a true Pa Cable Restraint to Spec should break away if a deer or bear gets caught..Sometimes things that are suppose to work don't so that is a negative side of using the bigger loops for coyotes.. Make sure you keep the training book they gave you handy.. Refer to it often on just how the loop should be hung and the shape of the loop too...   

Suggest if you get to one of the Trapper get together this year attend one of the cable restraint seminars.. Some good info when you should not set a restraint on a trail..Like placing some fresh dirt on the trail prior to setting the restraint. If you see deer tracks in the new dirt don't set a cable restraint on that trail.. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:23:42 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »
Thank you for all the advice. this is my first year going after foxes via trapping with cable restraints so i got some learning to do lol. and when you said that you would sometimes catch deer does that mean around the neck or around the foot because i know that there is the loop-stop so that a deer should be able to pull its foot out.

Offline thearcher1340

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
hey coonreaper just did my 2nd year nothing this year , had coyote get out.  U might want to check out prosnares.com, I don't know if u ever saw the differences with a loaded cable or not, but wow really smooth.
I have a buddy that told me about this site, that's where he gets his from.  Tried some others that said they were loaded and he was really disappointed with them.  Placing my order for next year shortly.

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
hey coonreaper just did my 2nd year nothing this year , had coyote get out.  U might want to check out prosnares.com, I don't know if u ever saw the differences with a loaded cable or not, but wow really smooth.
I have a buddy that told me about this site, that's where he gets his from.  Tried some others that said they were loaded and he was really disappointed with them.  Placing my order for next year shortly.

As you know you have 36 hours to check your cable restraints... Never ever check them every 36 hours.. Check them every 24 hours.. Here is what a coyote can do to a cable restraint:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:41:08 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
thanks thearcher1340. ill have to check out that sight. did u mean that you didn't get any coyotes in the cable restraints or did you mean that you didn't get any foxes or coyotes? And yes i did load some of my restrains in the later part of the season and i think that it deffinatly helped make them quicker. Before doing that i would catch alot around the hips and one one occasion it started to damage the fur. after loading them, i didn't catch any by the hips.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »
Can one of you explain what you mean by loading the cable restraints?

Renny

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »
Cable will retain memory when bent or worked over.  When you do this to a cable in a certain spot your snare will fire instead of just dropping closed.  Makes a huge difference...

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »
yah. what method of loading works best for you? do you just bend it with your hands or bend it over a rod or the like? i tried over a pice of rebarb once but it kinked the cable and ruined it. I've done most of them with my hands but just wondering if there is a better and more efficient way

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:56:29 PM »
I don't mess with mine like this aka Loading... I just soak them in baking soda.. LOL LOL

Renny

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 05:45:38 AM »
I use a spike pounded in my workbench.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »
I disagree with UB's statement about distance from the ground-
UB says- The distance from the ground does not really mean anything other then to have non targeted animals pass under.
The most important detail, for me, is how high the bottom of the loop is off the ground. Hence; where's the canines chin going to be?

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »
What Hern Disagree with me?  No!!!!!  LOL  LOL

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
 ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »
I soaked mine in baking soda. i guess u do that to take away the shine or scent but idk i just read to do it online lol