Author Topic: What's Your Favorite  (Read 11071 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: What's Your Favorite
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2016, 07:13:32 AM »
I had to let two grey's and a red walk this year so far.  I shoot them if they are in season.  I can honestly say I have never called in a fox when using coyote sounds.  It's the prey distress that get you the mixed bag of critters.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2016, 07:20:22 AM »
I will call you later Jasper. We all have kids. I under stand.
You know your son is always supposed to challenge the fathers knowledge.  It's some kind of unwritten rule.

Good because I don't have either. I am still trying to overcome being a fox hunter and breaking those bad habits. Also you did not answer the question if you call in a fox do you shoot it or wait hoping for a coyote?  8)
Only a fox hunter would ask that question.  You need to start thinking of yourself as a coyote hunter.  Then you will become one. ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2016, 03:55:23 PM »
 :o :o :o "I had to let two grey's and a red walk this year so far.  I shoot them if they are in season. "  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Is this a feeble attempt at the Deckard Award with a tall tale?? :P :P :P :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »
Goosebumps
Yea, he is close to winning already. I thinking about voting for him.
Well, we know his calling something in other then his neighbors dog has always been in question.
He however will win with his next story, I See it comming already!!!!!!
 Ya know the one were he's calling fox and he let's a coyote walk because he did not want scare the foxes from comming in.
Ya know what just put my vote in awile.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2016, 05:59:20 AM »
 :) Ok getting back on point.................You (and BW also) would shoot any fox coming to the call!  :o  So we can assume when you leave the house you are going for a mixed bag? Since the few times I have taken my feeble bones to the woods I have had a fox bark back when using a coyote howl to start....what is this telling me? I was also assuming when you set-up you have done your homework and are looking to shoot a coyote. If nothing responds to your coyote sounds do you pull up stakes and leave or do you try prey sounds? Since fox and coyotes are not exclusive of each other...if a fox runs in on the prey sound and you shoot it, while the coyote is off to the side watching this Chinese fire drill, have you now educated an already nervous,hyper coyote? I'm not eligible for the Deckard but one time I was rattling one of those bags with plastic in it during archery season  ::) and a red fox showed up  :o WhaaaaT? OLD POP's is getting more and more confuzzed....LOL

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »
Assuming would be your first mistake. :o :o  No I exit the door with the mindset of hunting one or the other.  As each requires a different strategy. 

If nothing responds to my coyote set then yes I pull stakes and move on.  If a fox would happen to run in on my coyote set I would shoot it.  I might add that rarely happens unless I am playing prey distress.  Read between the lines. ::) ::) ::)
I don't necessarily think a shot messes up an already skittish coyote unless they see or smell you in the process. And according to your story I would say the fox had already busted you and your pathetic howls confirmed it. ;D ;D
As far as your plastic rattle bag goes, predators are curious by nature, I think it wanted to see the rare curious old coot hunting in the woods as they usually never get out of the truck. ::) ::) ::)
As far as the Deckard Award, I feel everyone should be eligible as long as the voting is left to the members.  Good Luck!  You are going to need it. ;) ;) ;)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 07:05:26 AM »
 :) Just as I thought  ;) anything dumb enough to arrive on the scene gets shot  :o :o :o................ 8)