Author Topic: No cats  (Read 10967 times)

uncle buck

Re: No cats
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »
I think the guys that have seen bobcat activity have a real good chance... Don't be surprised if Scott and LookN4Fur do score down the road...  Only thing that can hurt them is the window and having to work...Good luck I hope you all score and if you miss one at least you will have one heck of a memory that's for sure.. People use the bobcat in heat and etc and woodpecker distress....I have only called in two bobcat in Cumberland County...Both times it was the cottontail distress sound that lured them in..  Probably best to use the electronic to since it could take awhile for them to come into the sound.. You do the rabbit distress constant for well over 30 minutes your going to get the dreaded Trombone Lip!!!  Jerry from Arz use to refer to that all the time.. I think that would be Jerry Blair..??????
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:27:56 PM by uncle buck »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 05:34:20 PM »
Every cat that I have called in has been to rabbit in distress of one form or another.  Also they have been in the first 5 minutes of calling.  I am going to head up north this weekend I am going to try a night of shorter call times and hit more spots.  Can't hurt. 

uncle buck

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 05:36:07 PM »
That sounds like a good plan to try...kind of hunt them like huntetrs hunt when it's a contest.. Make more stands...

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
Totally agree with scouting being key!  The cat I've been pursuing is about a 45 minute drive away. I have another spot in my back pocket that I've been saving. It's only 10 minutes away and it's a smaller cat. However, any cat is a trophy in my book. I decided to go with the closer spot today to save time. Found fresh tracks right where I expected to. Set up and called, drew a blank.... Think I'm going to do some night hunting at this spot to up the odds. I'm glad to see members with good cat sign. I'm hopeful that someone will connect with one soon.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »
Yeah the I can't hunt cats in my area the ones I'm after are about 30 minutes. The tracks I found are the same place they were last year. Another place I spotted one in turkey season. I don't think I called the area enough last year just thinking like I was fox hunting and didn't want to over call it but I don't know if that applies for cats. What do you guys think about over calling a area for cats?
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
Good question. I know I stay on stand calling far longer than I would for coyote or fox. I've always heard cats can be slow to the call. As far as calling an area too often, I suppose that's possible. I never thought about that much. I always have such limited time during season I just try to hunt as often as I can. You've given me something to think about.....
District 5 coordinator

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »
I hit 2 spots tonight, first one I called for 1/2 straight with rabbit sounds and left.  Second stand I was 2 minutes into it and a grey fox came in from behind me.  I never heard him or saw him on the road he cut on my side of the road only yards from me scared me I jumped like alittle school girl.  He circled into my field and I shot him at 50 yards.  I body shot him to see what would happen to the fur because I use that gun for cats and always wondered if I would ruin the hide on a cat with the .222 using the double hollow points.  Blew an exit hole about the size of a softball.   I may go to a soft point or use the .22 hornet instead. 

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 09:01:52 PM »
LOL :D

uncle buck

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »
Bobcat and just like domestic house cats.. Surely you have called them in...most of them just come in so slow too.. However I have has housecats charge me like they were getting that rabbit.. again... it was even the rabbit that they were attracted too..

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 09:06:58 PM »
Dang.... That's a good size hole!  A .22 hornet would be more fur friendly.  Just curious, what grain were those .222 rounds?
District 5 coordinator

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 09:14:27 PM »
42gr James Calhoun double hollow point at about 3100fps

uncle buck

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »
I remember seeing the Gerald Stewart video.. He was hunting bobcat and he was praising the 223 and 50 or 55 grain  Win Silvertip Ballistic bullets for not making big holes..  I have reloaded them 50 grainer in the 22250 and close shots out to about  50 yards the wood chucks had no blow up.. A 100 yards the chucks had a nice size hole in them.  This was with the  22250.. I have reloaded some of the 50 grainer STB in my 223 and have to shoot them for effect this Spring with all kinds of powders.. I do have 222 Model 340, and two  223. one a  24 V the other the Savage Axis..  I have been playing around so much with the  17's I have to shoot these  223 in to see which powder is the best for these STB.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
I'm using a .223 with 45gr jhp.  Hopefully it won't tear up a cat....  :-\
District 5 coordinator

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 09:48:17 PM »
I am going use a .22 hornet.   When we hunt I usually don't take a gun or use the 10ga at night.  99% of our fox are shot with the shotgun so I don't have a lot of experience with predator rifles but I can tell u what choke to use with what size shot. Lol. 

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 03:57:46 AM »
 :) Over the years, I have called 2 cats while fox-coyote hunting  :) Both times I was using  "Yellow Hammer Woodpecker" by Johnny Stewart, both times it was around midnight.....for what it's worth....... 8)