Author Topic: Scairce coyote tracks & scat...  (Read 14251 times)

Renny

Re: Scairce coyote tracks & scat...
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 06:41:11 AM »
Coyotes can reason..... really..... please tell me more.  You guys are blowing this thing way out of proportion.  You've already missed some of the most opportune times to be succesful calling and killing coyotes.  Although they may not be plentiful throughout the state, they are here, and in abundance.  The winter months are when most hunters try..... and fail miserably.

I'll post more later... I'm goin huntin'.

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 07:37:24 AM »
How many have you killed this year?
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 08:13:31 AM »
rennys a pretty good fur caller and trapper.  

BW.  pm sent.  

whitefeather.
keep looking.  and don't think because you found sign that the animals are still in the area.  if I was wanting to bag a coyote I would locate via siren and make a game plan for that night if they responded.  around here they move so much they may be there one night and the next they are gone.  I will stick to fox till coyote get more plentiful in this area.  They are here.  no doubt about it.  but would rather kill a average old fox.  they're more fun. ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:15:33 AM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 08:50:01 AM »
UB is correct calling to long like calling for fox, will get you busted. And now is the time to be out as Renny said.
And there are a good bit of coyotes in PA. Trappers take many also. You have to pay attention to the wind and know the woods your hunting  and where you know the coyotes bed and go for water.

Renny

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 09:32:06 AM »
There is some great advice in this thread.  UB -- I hope I didn't offend you, it was not my intent.  I think many folks give the coyote too much credit in its abilities to "think", or "reason".  My opinion is that it is learned responce from different senerios that particuar critter has been exposed to throughout its life, or genetics.  Some coyotes are agressive, while others timid.  That being said, I think ALL coyotes have something that will pique their interest and to be successful it is our job, as the hunter, to find out what that thing is.

While the cottontail distress is arguably the most commonly used call, it can also be a deturrent to a particular coyote, or coyotes that have had a bad experience with that sound.  With all the new sounds on the market today, I think a e-caller is a great investment.  It gives us a chance to think outside the box with the push of a button.  It also gives us a chance to use coyote vocalizations without knowingly screwing the sound up, which in my opinion, is done more often than not.  I don't think the average hunter studies yote vocalizations enough to use them properly.  A howl is a howl type of mentality.  With about everyone have access to the internet, there is no reason not to try to learn to speak the language.  This site also has some of the best guys in the state, if not world, at calling and making calls.... sweet!

The siren is a awesome tool that can really get coyotes fired up and does not warrant a responce other than vocal.  A great locator, and IMO underutilized.  As stated, it gives you a chance to move through an area and come back later knowing your target is in the area.  If I KNOW coyotes are there I feel better sitting longer on stand and it seems I am more attentive, and oftentimes more succesful.

I spend the spring and summer months scouting my area, searching for new ground, looking for tracks, scat, and dens.  As Ben said, just because there is no sign now does'nt mean there wont be in the upcoming weeks.  If your not finding sign, move on, but don't give up on those areas.  Legwork will pay off eventually, and the more you put in, the bigger the rewards.............

I don't think I've ever posted this much in my life.. ::)

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 09:40:33 AM »
That was some great advise from Renny and everyone else that posted on this thread. This is the reason I joined the PPHA. The need to learn more about the sport. Thanks to all.
President PPHA

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
Where can I get a siren?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
agreed with everything renny said. +1.

whitefeather
if you have a foxpro go here http://www.gofoxpro.com/fpsounds/index.php and scroll down to the free sound previews.  siren1 sound 206 is what I use to locate with
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Renny

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 10:11:16 AM »
Trapping gives you a great opportunity to study behavior.

Here is a submissive coyote......

Aggressive......

Here is a behavior I have only seen a couple of times in my life.... A tail wagger.  Like a come and pet me kind of wag.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:23:06 AM by Renny »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
[quote

Here is a behavior I have only seen a couple of times in my life.... A tail wagger.  Like a come and pet me kind of wag.

[/quote]

My black lab will do that right before he is going to bite.....

Renny

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »
LOL -- I've got scars from that very thing....  ;D -- Lab too

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
agreed with everything renny said. +1.

whitefeather
if you have a foxpro go here http://www.gofoxpro.com/fpsounds/index.php and scroll down to the free sound previews.  siren1 sound 206 is what I use to locate with

Thanks bigben, but I dont have a Foxpro I have a Power Dogg.  I'll have to think of something else.

Renny

uncle buck

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »
I have on that also a bull horn..Got that in Bonton at the end of season clearance... However I do have one on my FX5 and I also have a Knight & Hall cassette with a siren on it too....

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »
Thanks Renny.  That outfit is going out of business and that particuliar item is out of stock.  I found same item for $1 cheaper on this site

http://store.rogerssportinggoods.com/servlet/-strse-Calls-cln-Predator-and-Game/Categories?sfs=22cb96d

PS>  I ordered it!  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:41:22 PM by Whitefeather »