Author Topic: State wide hunt  (Read 11393 times)

tom p

Re: State wide hunt
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
lackawanna--the points & dates are in the members forum under ppha events
each district will have a check in spot in that district plus ill have a checkin spot at my house as well so there will 7 check ins across the state.
joe b. aka dreamcatcher is your district director he'll probably post the checkin spot shorty

Offline Lackawannafox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »
Thanks tom

longhair

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
NOTE~ 1st...the dates for this hunt is 5pm friday jan 30 thru sunday the 1st at noon.

2nd.. from noon friday till sat midnight can coon be hunted. Therefore from midnight sat till sunday at noon it's fox and coyote only.

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »
NOTE~ 1st...the dates for this hunt is 5pm friday jan 30 thru sunday the 1st at noon.

2nd.. from noon friday till sat midnight can coon be hunted. Therefore from midnight sat till sunday at noon it's fox and coyote only.

huh? ???
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
As far as contest for money, That has already hurt me. I lost so much propery that I hunted because the land owner don't want the fox hunters to scare his coyotes away cause he's trying to win a contest. I don't know what contest but I know it's not ours.

There are so many Coyote hunts in this state with large purses.  With that in mind, why would a property owner want some guy(s) to hunt his dogs if he has a chance to win some money.

At the rod & gun club I belong to reports on these hunts every year.  The largest 1st place prize I hear about every year is like $7000-$8000 for first place.  Maybe this is why many members don't participate in district hunt.  Because they are trying to win money in these other hunts and are spending every minute they have working on killing the biggest coyote the can kill.  The money is what got me interested in predator hunting. 

This is my first hunt and I've only been a paying member of PPHA for little more then a month.  I have a lot to learn before I can call myself a seasoned predator hunter. 

I found the PPHA during a web search, after getting a trail cam picture of a coyote.  I contacted Woody via phone for advice on how to hunt the critter.  Check my post in the photo section and you'll see how it turned out. 

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is this.  If you want membership to grow and be stronger.  Maybe offering a hunt with a prize package i.e. calls, decoys, or training videos.  Maybe appealing to some people.  Or even getting envolved with some of these other hunts, offering membership to the PPHA for registering in the hunts.

Just my thoughts.

Swarter2
a..k.a Dave Swarter 
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 08:21:06 AM »
i have a question,  this hunt is the same weekend as the hunt in Tunkhannock, if i get a coyote can it be entered into both hunts?

As far a youth participation,  we need to have something like a kids shooting day at the local range, then have some of our memembers give kids type seminars and some free calls to give away. 

Thanks
Scott

tom p

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »
i dont see a problem with entering your fur in 2 different hunt that weekend.

as far as your suggestions on the youths---the ppha does numerous youth field days each year.
at last years predator expo we had a youth seminar.  the kids got a dood bag with a couple calls.  we're planning on having the youth seminar again this year at the expo.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 11:14:29 AM »
As far as contest for money, That has already hurt me. I lost so much propery that I hunted because the land owner don't want the fox hunters to scare his coyotes away cause he's trying to win a contest. I don't know what contest but I know it's not ours.

There are so many Coyote hunts in this state with large purses.  With that in mind, why would a property owner want some guy(s) to hunt his dogs if he has a chance to win some money.

I'm not sure what contest he's in but I guess he figures if he already has them on his farm, why not make money off them. Are you from my area (Fayette City)? Hunting around here is every man for himself. Private propery is everywhere however permission is not. Some excuses have been ,The place was promised to some other guys and I wouldn
t want to mess them up by letting you hunt here, Nah, my dogs look alot like foxes (full grown collies). Nope this is for deer hunters only.. The list goes on. My opinion is if you need money to get anyone off their hump to hunt coyotes maybe they don't need to hunt them at all, cause alot of us would love to do it for free. Sorry for the quote, I don't know how to work the forum yet.
FayetteNam

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »
Yeah, i think the the kids seminars are great at the expo, but how many of those kids are there because they are with someone you already hunts predators,  chances are they are going to hunt them anyway because it is in the family.   I think if we have a kids pellet gun tournement at a local club and make a day out of it we can draw from outside of our group.    Just a thought. 

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 09:58:17 PM »

My opinion is if you need money to get anyone off their hump to hunt coyotes maybe they don't need to hunt them at all, cause alot of us would love to do it for free. Sorry for the quote, I don't know how to work the forum yet.
[/quote]
These coyote contests I'm talk about predator77 aren't the hunters paying the property owner.  The hunters pay a fee to be in these contests and the prizes are high.  There are so many properties in my area with dogs on them.  That the live stock is being effected.  If you ask the farmer/property owner thats in their 70's to hunt them.  They laugh at you and say no cause they are hunting them for money.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
SWARTER, I am not sure why this certain property owner is doing this and I don't know what contest he is in but I'm starting to feel like your calling me a liar. This guys name is William Elliott 724 326-8880 (it's in the book not an unlisted number) call him and ask him why. That's what he told me. He lets people deer hunt the place to death so it's not like he dosen't let people hunt at all and even last year I hunted fox there with his permission (unsuccessful). His family owns a couple hundred acres of farmland. I asked the guy and he said no, cause fox hunters scare his coyotes and he wants to win a contest. I can understand if coyotes were a problem and there was a bounty on them but people go their whole lives never seeing a coyotes in Pa. Going hunting is the prize. Enough said on this. Call him to get your answers.
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
predator 77. if you know were there are some coyotes. call me. I have ideas.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 01:46:18 PM »
Foxpro51, I've been trying. I drove around for 2 hours yesterday trying to gain access to new places. There is a couple of people that are supposed to get back to me. No landowners were home yesterday,so I gave my info to their wives. Alot of great places if they call. I will surely PM you if I gain access.
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »
I like giving cherry pies for small properties. Big properties gets alot more. lol

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
Extended National Weather Forecast for state predator hunt.----- Eastern Pa. will get 24 inches of snow followed by freezing rain. 40 MPH winds expected with heavy fog at night. Western Pa. will be sunny and cool.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:37:51 PM by foxpro51 »