Author Topic: best sounds for red fox on Foxpro  (Read 10096 times)

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
best sounds for red fox on Foxpro
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
This year I have finally purchases a foxpro firestorm and have had great success so far, calling in at least one fox on every stand i've set up. My two go-to sounds have been the bay-bee cottontail and the vole squeeks, but I have also had luck on eastern cottontail and adult cottontail.

When setting up i usually start out with the bay bee cottontail and play that until the 12 minuet mark. So far this year most of the red fox have came in under 4 mins, or between the 8-10 minuet mark with the bay bee cottontail. While the majority of the fox have charged the call without stopping, i've had a few hang up around the 150-200 yd mark. When this happens i switch to the vole squeeks, which is essentually the same thing as a self produced lip squeek that everyone is familiar with. This nearly always succeeds in bringing them into shotgun range.

One thing that you should always remember is to not give up on the stand after you shoot or miss a fox. Three times this year i have sat for an additional five minuets after shooting, and inturn ended up calling in another set of eyes. I set my fox bang to vole squeeks for situations like these.

Feel free to reply with any sounds and strategies that you have found successfull this year. 

Offline jerad188

• Junior Forum Member
  • South eastern District 5
Re: best sounds for red fox on Foxpro
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »
i start every stand with bay bee cotton. and ive called in numerous reds, every one of them i can remember charging the decoy/call, they definately love it... have also used red distress to call in a second fox after already shooting.

good advice
Addicted to fur for sure

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »
I don't have much experience with ecallers.  I have always used hand calls.  (Except for fox hunting which the FoxPro has been awesome!)  However, I lose several expensive custom calls everyear and am trying the FoxPro this year on most sets.  Musky turned me onto the BabyBee call and it has worked well.  I think it is to FoxPro what the Grey Fox Distress was to Johnny Stewart.

Funny, my calling sequence has been to start with BabyBee for three minutes and then go to Adult Cottontail.  I like this because the BabyBee is softer for the up close critters then the Adult Cottontail is louder and more panicky of a call.

I also am starting to like the Screamin Grey Fox so far.  Musky called in a very nice coyote with it last night...man that dog had the afterburners on to get to the call.

I've been surprised that I haven't done much with the bird sounds (lucky bird, ranting red bird, and woodpecker).  I need to keep trying all the different sounds I have to get a better understanding...still don't have enough experience yet, but so far that is what I am having the best results with.

I've read so many guys say how the racoon fight brings in coons charging.  Tried it on three last night and they had no interest.

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »
I have similar experience with the coon fight sound. A few weeks ago we had 3 coons out around 100 yds and put on coon fight, but all it did was get them to look at us so we could see eyes beter. I found that coons like raspier sounding calls and foxes like higher pitched. I think that's why the baybee cottontail works so well for reds.

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
Keep trying the bird sounds. I almost always start a stand off with a bird sound. Cranky male cardinal is a go to favorite of mine. A close second is some kind of woodpecker (worried, wackie, weeping) and titmouse tantrum.

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
I posted somewhere on here a while back about Jersey Reds going nuts over my 532's woodpecker sounds.  Santa's helper (read Wife) won't let me have my new Fury 2 'till tomorrow nite.  I will tell you guys that  Santa other helper (read me) put a whole bunch of bird calls on it.  Use what works but if things slow down, don't forget the little birds.  Merry Christmas and I can't wait to get back to PA.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
I'm reletively new to the fox calling myself.  This late in the season, I have had great success with the bird sounds.  I usually start off with the Nutty Nuthatch.  I have reds coming in within the first 3 minutes.  In York PA, we don't have many reds...mostly reds.  The Nutty Nutthatch is my Ace sound.

Jake
York  PA
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
I just recently discovered the Goldfinch distress sound on my call and it sounds excellent to me I'm looking forward to trying it out I haven't used it yet but I love the sound.

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »
Mike take a listen to Northern Flicker. It's a pretty good sound.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association