Author Topic: Acorns  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Acorns
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
For those that read my recent post about coyote hunting, I wanted to add an important observation about acorns.

There are a lot of acorns this year, red and white, in the north central part of the state.  I know white acorns are prized by many animals over any other kind because they have the least amount of tanic acid, which makes them easier to digest. 

I found one particular ridge that had an extrodinary amount of acorns compared to others.  Wouldn't you know it, this is where I found 90% of the animals that I called, heard and viewed.  From Bear, bobcat, deer and yes, coyote.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Hopefully I can get a little archery hunting in there before predators kick in.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Acorns
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »
Have you noticed any acorns around home tim?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »
Good crop in my area too this year.  8
Nice change after a couple light years

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:31:45 PM by TrappinJohn »

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
Good amount of acorns here too. Thanks for the tip Tim!

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »
I have been hunting pretty boy resivoir for the past few weeks and the amount of acorns raining down daily is simply amazing. It's been years since I've seen this many falling!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:26 AM »
Heavy Acorns in my area. Checked several trail cams that were set up on Oak trees....wow, the Deer and Coon are stuffing themselves on them ridges.

Between me, our son, our nephew and a friend, I've been checking 23 trail cams for the past 3 1/2 weeks. Seems the Acorns started dropping about 2-2 1/2 weeks ago in my area.
I have my trail cams looking for predators and the other 3 guys are looking for Deer. I enjoy setting up trail cams...just a different type of hunting for me and another chance to be in the woods.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 08:24:09 AM »
Honestly Ben I have not really noticed too many but then again I havn't been in the woods too much recently around home.  I can tell you this, find a chestnut tree and there will be deer under it for about one more week.  I wish the old American Chestnut was still prevelant in the PA woods.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
I haven't been in the woods hardly at all.  Been spending too much time on the water.  To be honest even though archery starts this weekend I will still prob be on the water till late October.  I have never hunted over chestnuts tim but I do have a great stand of chestnut oak available for me to hunt and deer love em.  Issue is the one year the mast was so heavy the deer got up traveled inside the oak wood line ate and then went the 100yds back to bedding area.  I seen deer every day but they were hard to kill.  Had to be in the tree early and stay late. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline DownWind Outdoors

• Junior Forum Member
    • DownWind Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
We have a trail cam under an Oak and we get constant pictures of coyotes eating the acorns.  Guess we need to figure out an acorn in distress call.  :P
DownWind Outdoors
www.DownWindOutdoors.com
More DownWind Outdoors
www.MoreDWO.com