Author Topic: how long to wait to go back to a place  (Read 2157 times)

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
how long to wait to go back to a place
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »
I took a friend hunting last night never predator hunted before. Let him use my .204 said you shoot I'll run the call. First set perfect a red came straight in on a string sat down at 197 yards I said shoot it he shot perfect dead fox he was all pumped up. So we then loaded it up drove to another spot this is were my question is. I make 3-4 sets in this field in a normal night. First set one comes behind use he slowly turned around the fox spooked and ran then stopped he shot clear miss fox takes off we turn around there's another fox it saw us ran off. Okay no problem. Walk to the next set call had one come in then stopped behind a little hill in the field never saw him again. We can hear one barking so we walk towards the set up what sounds like 3-400 yards away and call here one comes. My buddy hurried the shot I don't know why the fox was coming right in and he shot and missed it started to then stopped he shot again missed. While he was shooting tho another fox had come in and ran off as well so we called 5 different fox in and killed none. How long would you wait before going back to that spot again?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: how long to wait to go back to a place
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
     It sounds like there are pleanty of fox with no calling pressure.  My opinion......I think you could safely go back the next day but at a diffrent time,  say an hour or two earlier or later and still be successful without over hunting it.

If the area has pressure and calling them in is hit and miss, I usually will only call a spot once a week.  I like to give it time to calm down and allow them to relax from being fooled the first time. 

Remember, everytime you call or shoot a fox, he gets a little wiser!!   I would also recommend that sopt to experiment with.  Try new sounds to see what works.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »
We are the only guys who have permission to hunt it and that was only the 3rd time this season we were there. Thanks for the help.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »
Your giving those fox a lot of credit.  You may have called the same fox in two or more times.  I have done this often.  When you re-position yourself a few hundred yards away and use a different sound, this can happen especially the ones you do not shoot at.  Most likely the one barking at you was one you called in previously and he knew something wasn't right.  You can call fox in from a long way.  Let the farm rest a few days and go back and put less sets in.  Fox don't get smarter as the season goes on, some are just better at living!   

Like Jake said, different time and sounds next time can also help. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline PAnighthunter89

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »
I personally like to hit my spots no more than twice a year.  Fox are very smart animals an catch on to whats going on very quickly.  I try to space it out to where I will hit a spot at the start of the year then hit it again in the last month or so of the season.  Only time I will hunt a spot more than twice is if there is a problem with the predators.  So I would save that spot till the last month of season if ya can.  They will start to settle down an forget about you by then.  Especially if you are the only one with permission an don't have other callers in the area.
Boondock Outdoors Field Staff