Author Topic: A gift from the landowner, gaining their trust...  (Read 1231 times)

uncle buck

A gift from the landowner, gaining their trust...
« on: December 26, 2009, 02:54:20 PM »
I  have been hunting the same lands I hunted 25 years ago...Over the years...you gain the respect or the landowners...Never any problems with your shooting and causing them problems...They end up allowing you to shoot in the Safety Zones...
To accomplish this safely you got to get to know the lay of the land your hunting on....You have to know when and where to use the rifle and when to use the shotgun...
the neat thing you can start to use the areas in the Safety Zone as obstacles that make the predator not enter there....The house, the barn, a rock pile, a vehicle, farm equipment...The predator is not going to travel there...Ah so knowing this you can set up accordingly, set your self in a safe shooting lane...USE THE SHOTGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many a time some of the farmers want me to sit right in their buildings and shoot the coon, chucks etc.. Of course you have to have common sense and graceously decline there offer.....
As you develop relationships with landowners...Practice safety as we all should...However don't become a DORK!!!!!there are many  predator I could have harvested but it just was not safe to shoot just where they are..

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:55:32 PM by uncle buck »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: A gift from the landowner, gaining their trust...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
I agree but it can be intimidating to gain new ground. Most land owners are pretty naive about predator hunting. They have no idea of season lengths and night hunting so it would be in your best interest to not fail to mention these things before you start hunting their property. There is nothing worse then getting into a verbal argument with a once soft spoken landowner because he has no idea that you can legally hunt animals at night. I have had landowners that where specific on the hunting I could do as well. Some preferred coyote only and no fox and some preferred daylight hunting only.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

Re: A gift from the landowner, gaining their trust...
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
I ran through the same things in the early days of hunting the land....Believe me...down the road they will get to respect you, and all will be allowed to more and more.  Just remember don't turn into a DORK and good things will be happening...By all means do not get into arguements....I  have been told by landowners that I could not hunt because my calling would bring in the coyotes to kill their sheep. I did not argue..Nope I have never returned to their land to hunt..This is their land and that just how it is..The people who just do not understand. Again it's their land.  Just get permission on the farm next to theirs and you will call the predator from their land also...this actually happen..I do have permission to hunt the land next to theirs..They did tell the owner that my calling would bring the coytes in..Of course he did not believe them and he lets me hunt...I just wish they.. the other people would take their dog in earlier...thing barks like heck when I call the other lands..
I have to hit this particular land at 2:00 AM.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 04:38:20 PM by uncle buck »