Author Topic: i'm excited that Hornady coming out with 17 WSM ammo  (Read 2350 times)

uncle buck

i'm excited that Hornady coming out with 17 WSM ammo
« on: February 06, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »
This is what this calber needs.. yet another mfg of 17 WSM rimfire Ammo...If for anything just for Longevity of the rifle round. Now we need even more gun mfg to come out with guns for this caliber... Last I checked it was just Savage and Browning... Browning price was  :( However I know of one person that already got an Encore barrel with this rimfire cal..
http://www.hornady.com/store/17-WSM

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: i'm excited that Hornady coming out with 17 WSM ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:39:42 PM »
Unclebuck
Nice for prairie dogs but the 20 gr balistic tip is not real good for fox. I had more fur damage and runners with 20 gr. ballistic tips. I would say shoot fox in the head. I would like to see them make a better bullet or load them with there 25gr hollow points.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:33:38 PM »
"Now we need even more gun mfg to come out with guns for this caliber... Last I checked it was just Savage and Browning"

Ruger and H.S Precision also.
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 07:01:47 PM »
When i was at the Great Outdoor Sports Show at the Farm Show today I was talking to the Federal Ammo people... They to now have Federal ammo for the  17 WSMRF! But it's also just the 20 grainer.. I know a young man from Dover that harvested two coyotes with the 17 WSM. he does visits here. he told me he shot a coyote in York County with the  25 grainers in a dirt field and it ran 500 yards before it dropped. he said lucky that the field was dirt... He then shot a coyote in York county with the 20 grainer and it ran 5 yards and dropped... I guess it depends just where you lay this Winchester ammo.. you might want to make sure you do shoot for a vital and know your fields.. if there are a lot of weeds in the field you just might lose it.
Coyotejohn nice to hear other gun mfg are also supplying arms in this caliber.. Lets hope the fullet mfg do start to make mare different grain bullets in this rimfire..  I have not killed anything with mine yet since I have been using the  17 Hornet Encore with the  factory 20 grain VMAX for fox... Now they have been anchoring well... Only blew one up when I hit it low under the chest.. Kind of a sucking wound occurred and it ran maybe 30 yards before it collapsed. now that was with the 17 Hornet not this  17WSM..
Ernie I will remember what you say and if using the 17 WSM I will shoot for the head on coyotes...The young man from Dover did harvest quite a few red fox with the 17 WSM todate.. He wasn't happy with the Win ammo selection.. I know when he see all this other ammo being provided it will make his day... Ihave so much of the Win stuff now I need to buy a few boxes of the Hornady and the Federal.. I'm going to try it out on chucks big time this Spring...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:12:06 PM by uncle buck »