Author Topic: pros and cons on savage over and under rifle/shotgun  (Read 2741 times)

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
pros and cons on savage over and under rifle/shotgun
« on: January 31, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
Pros and Cons of the savage 222/12 ga. or 223/12 ga. 3" chamber? Does anyone have one? How do you like it? Is the scope still zeroed after shooting the shotgun? Thinking about finding one but want to wait until I can get some feedback. Getting older and tired of lugging two weapons around.
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: pros and cons on savage over and under rifle/shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:15:43 PM »
HD I have one in 223/12 and I love mine. I've owned several over the years in different combinations. I would say the pros are you always have what you need, rifle for long shots and shotgun for close work. The cons are they are a tad bit heavier than a standard rifle and you won't likely get a follow up shot if you miss. Also there can be issues with scopes staying zeroed. Personally I don't have any problems with mine. Mine is a newer version with a black synthetic stock. Some of the really old versions have a black plastic spacer between the barrels at the muzzle end. It can move around and you can actually "twist" the barrels some with your hand. I believe this is where the losing zero problem comes from. I had an old 222/20 version like that and I got rid of it. My 22 hornet/12 and 223/12 both have the synthetic stock and there is a metal band around the shotgun barrel securing it to the rifle barrel. No "twist" issue. Do a little searching online and look for the examples I described. There is a savage model 24 forum with some knowledgeable people that you can gain some more insight from. I hope this helps you.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Outdoors_man

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:30:23 PM »
Have one, really like it, although...On heavy side, black plastic stock that is too long for me and comb is too low.  Put a lace on cheek piece on to raise comb...Don't know how to shorten stock  (hollow)  trigger is heavy but only need to concentrate on the "squeeze".  Rifle sight in at 100 yds, hold on top of fox's back and pattern is center at 40 yards..  Groups about 1-1/2" at 100yds with handloads.  Little tough to pull hammer back being close to scope but extension helps that...(I am referring to the 24, 223/12.)
All in all, I really like it for predator hunting...

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:00:31 PM »
The 223/12 24V black stock...I have one... I missed a quick shot at a coyote in NEPA.. I was on a ridge and was using a Harris Bipod... I was trying to get it settled and aimed all at the same time.. Coyotes don't hang around long so.. What ever you do never use a Harris on a 24V. 

They are heavy and IMO the only time to use one is if your using  a E. Wilson Tripod or a something that will hold a rifle..

With gloves on in cold weather they are dangerous... If you pull that hammer back and then try to drop it down if the shot no longer presents themselves it could go off... a  hammer extension is needed but only if it doesn't impact the gun to go off... I have Encores and they are safe even when you are  wearing gloves and a  hammer extension is not needed.

I have had one for years and have only killed one gray fox and one coyote with it so far.. Both were killed with the shotgun barrel...The coyote actually did a flip when I hit it with it running  the  3 inch T shot Deadcoyote load..

Might be better to go to a flea market and get yourself a used single shot break open shotgun that accepts a sling and carry that on your back and use your rifle.  This is only if they don't want an arm and a leg for them..

I agree however that coyotes just seemed to luck out sometimes... If I have the rifle they come running right at me... If I have the shotgun they are within rifle range...

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
UB is right about accidentally firing, but only on the older models. Newer ones like mine have a safety and it eliminates the chances of that happening. HD if you're considering one shop around for a newer one. They are safer and more accurate than the older models. By accurate I mean no barrel twisting and getting out of zero. The model 24 went through many changes over the years. IMO the newer version is the best of the bunch. Years of consumer feedback led to many refinements for a better gun overall.
District 5 coordinator