Author Topic: mossberg mvp predator fluted  (Read 2369 times)

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
mossberg mvp predator fluted
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:23:54 AM »
Does anyone have one of these? If so how do you like it? I currently have a Remington 700 sps .223 bull barrel, but it is heavy. I'm not a fan of sticks or bipods so I was looking at a possible weight drop. My 700 is a bench beast don't get me wrong. The weight just kills it.

I really couldn't afford to invest in a different caliber. One day I wouldn't mind owning a .17 centerfire. Now that the .17 Hornet has been around what are people's thoughts?
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: mossberg mvp predator fluted
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:25:08 AM »
I have one in the Savage Walking predator model and I have the CZ 17 hornet also.  I prefer the savage coz its lighter and has a synthetic stock.  Both guns are tack drivers.  I can put 3 rounds in a dime at 100 yards off the bench.  I use it for groundhogs, fox and did actually kill a coyote with it this year.  However,  when using the 17 hornet, I recommend taking head shots.  I lost a coyote last year by taking a shoulder shot.

I think it's a great and accurate calibre.  Good effective range out to about 250 yards with the right shooter.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
Thanks Jake. 

It never fails that when I get the gun fund up I deviate from the plan. Originally I was going to get a .17 Hornet, but then .257 Roberts caught fire in my brain. So the next gun I get is definitely going to be a small centerfire.....unless I can find a 6.5 Creedmoor at a good price.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
     Like most guns, you have to know their limitations.  The 17 hornet is (In my opinion) a very fast and flat shooting gun.  However, your choice of bullets is limited.  I don't reload, so I don't know what the reloading availaility is.

Its a small calibre, but very accurate.  Great for small varmits such as ground hogs, squirrels, fox etc.  Because it is so accurate, I always take head shots.  Pretty much everything dies with a head shot.......  I've killed out past 200-240 yards with it - fox and ground hogs.  The coyote I shot was about an 80 yard head shot.  It dropped in its tracks.  No fur damage. 
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:33:27 PM »
I reload so my options open up. It's definitely an interesting round.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1