Author Topic: 22mag for fox  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
22mag for fox
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »
Sometimes the answer needs to bite me on the nose for me to get it.

I had been using a 17HMR for fox but, wanted a little bit more so I got a 22mag. I’m LH so a Savage 93 was a pretty simple choice.

Like rimfires can sometimes be, it’s a little finicky. It doesn’t feed HPs and softpoints well at all. But it’s shoots Rem 33gr Accutips really well and feeds them flawlessly. Problem solved…..or, so I thought.
I’m not one to lob shots out there and even short shots (less than 50 yards) with solid shot placement, I’m not dropping them right there, they have all run a little bit. This year I took two shots that felt really good but, my fox ran off. I’m shooting supported, my shots felt good, no reason to think it’s a miss. I’ve lost confidence in my 22 mag and only carry my shotgun now....but everyone seems to rave about their 22mag for fox.

It just sort of came to me……maybe it’s my choice of ammo. Like as in most hunting, choosing the correct bullet for the application is part of the key to success. Maybe the Rem 33gr Accutips shoot well for me but are a poor choice for fox. Going right through and allowing them to run off and die.

Is anyone else successfully using Rem 33gr Accutips for fox ?

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: 22mag for fox
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »
i have never shot the 33 grain accupoints you are talking about. But I will say that my super X 40 grain jacketed hollow points with good shot placement anchors them well. To me heavier lead means more penetration and the hollow point will take care of the rest with minimal fur damage. Example: everyone likes to shoot lighter arrows so they get more fps. but their giving up penetration. Me, I like the heavy arrows (I call them logs) and blow right thru the deer. Hope this helps.....
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
I started with a few different Winchester offering and had feeding problems with them all....but sometimes rimfires can be finicky.

My buddy grabbed me a box CCI MaxiMags (40gr JHPs). They fed well out of the magazine so I hit the range. They don't shoot bad out of my rifle and they fed well. Not as accurate as the Remington but, accurate enough. Played with the scope a little, let's see how they do in the field.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:14:09 AM »
Nice groups... I think you will see that now that your going to a heavier grainage it will anchor the reds or grays better...I know people don't like the Win  Dynapoint but they do shoot well in my Marlin. the  45 grain if you can get good groups with it in your gun does go deep...I myself have zero'd the same Marlin in using Federal HP but have not taken it out for fox this year.. Having to much success with the Encore 17 Hornet factory  Hornady ammo...  Keep up the good work!!!! If you don't get to use it for fox this year... Take it on a few chuck hunts... I always take my Marlin 22 WMR on chuck hunts..The Dynapoint worked great on chucks for me too..More then likely I will be using the Federal ammo on chucks this year in the Spring..

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:23:25 AM »
I live in Special Regs......otherwise Id be using a centerfire too.  :(