Author Topic: my biggest coon, so far *(pixs)*  (Read 14122 times)

Offline sly_vixen

• Junior Forum Member
my biggest coon, so far *(pixs)*
« on: November 16, 2006, 10:41:18 PM »
This morning, I was so tired after working a 12 hour night shift. However, I always have an explosion of energy to get off work in the morning and go check sets. I share the responsibility of checking sets with my pal, Larry. Most times, he doesn't get the chance to check sets first though, because I beat him to it. I am in my second year of trapping. Trapping, has always sparked up my interest, so I finally decided to try it out.

I got to the creek, to find the drag was gone where I had put in a pocket set. I scanned and scanned the ground for any sign of the raccoon. About that time, my cell phone rang. It was Larry, wondering how things were going. I told him about my drag being gone and that there was no critter, in sight. He told me to hold tight that he was on his way.

When he got there, we searched up the hillside, back down the hillside, up the creek, down the creek, and even out into the nearby field. Finally, I decided to check a tree that one of my raccoons, from last year crawled under. Sure enough, there was just a bit of tail, sticking out. He's here, I yelled to my buddy. I tried to pull him out, but all he did was growl at me like a bear and wouldn't budge. I could see an eye and his nose sometimes, but not good enough to take a shot. After waiting him out for some time, he poked his head out from under the tree and I left him have it. He is my biggest raccoon, to date. He's got a lot of blonde coloring and I am just beaming. I can't wait to see him all dry and fluffy, hanging from my trapper's basket that I keep in the living room.

Even if you only get time to make a few sets for a week or two, you really should give it a try. It has been a ton of fun and even a bit frustrating, like this morning, but well worth it.

Ahh, sweet success! Enjoy, life...

Best of success to everyone, this trapping season.  Thanks, for looking.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:29:09 AM »
Great job!!
Thats a nice big coon.
I know what you mean about only running 2-3 traps
I'll hit it harder after Christmas.
Congrats

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 11:00:58 AM »
good catch... hope you get many more...   :D
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
trapping
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 05:50:15 PM »
Good job....... :) Are you out doing any calling?

Offline sly_vixen

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »
Not around here, yet.  However, I need to get my butt out there.  The coyotes are in the same areas where I've been trapping, so I am kinda hoping to catch one.  I am not waiting around too much longer though.  

I snapped a few pictures of some tracks the other day while my trapping pal and I were out making sets.

Here is my partner, working on one of our sets.