Author Topic: It's Two It's Two Guns In One  (Read 3117 times)

uncle buck

It's Two It's Two Guns In One
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
We have discussed this on here many times..The savage 24 V and the Remington Spartans rifle shotgun combos.

Seems many people can't keep Zero with the Rem Spartans...However the same gun was sold by the Russians for years and then they sold the rights to Rem.

Do You Think If One Would Go To A Heavy Duty  Scope Mount That The Zero Would Not Change?

I like the Idea of having one gun to take if I went out to county to hunt for a long weekend or even out of state....

Also would end with that never ending syndrome us caller go through..."Should have had the shotgun when I had the rifle or should have had the rifle when I had the shotgun!"

The Spartan rifle shotgun combo, is the problem with the gun or it it with the not so heavy gun mounts that hunters use on these guns?

Has anyone had a problem with one of the Savage 24V's  guns or when the guns were manufactured by the Rushkies?

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: It's Two It's Two Guns In One
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »
UB, I never had a spartan so I know nothing about them. I have 3 savages I had trouble with them. I went to good mounts and most of all shot gun scopes. They are doing ok now,Still does not compare to my old tika 12 ga.and 222. This gun is 45yrs. old and it is still great. And not for sale.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »
I have one of the newer versions of the savage with the scope mounts on the side and have not had any issues holding zero.There are definite advantages to a combo gun but my opinion is if you want a tack driver buy a good bolt action.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
Just thought of something else on the savage that I have seen and I don't want to upset anyone but it seems that most of the problems come from guns with the 12 gauge setup.I have seen stocks cracked with shock of high brass usage.And beware of the years that had the scope rail bonded to the top barrel.

Offline DEER TAG

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
I got the spartan gun shots great with the shotgun scope stays zeroed .. Is a little heavy but not a problem .

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:30:06 PM »
Just thought of something else on the savage that I have seen and I don't want to upset anyone but it seems that most of the problems come from guns with the 12 gauge setup.I have seen stocks cracked with shock of high brass usage.And beware of the years that had the scope rail bonded to the top barrel.

When you mean bonded do you mean it comes from Savage with a rail already on the barrel not a Weaver mount placed on the gun?

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
I have had a 24V 223/12 for years... I have killed fox with the shotgun but never killed a fox with the 223 since I knew in most instances that there are few areas to shoot a fox without blowing it up with a 22 center fire...
My scope was put on by a outstanding gunsmith..At the time I never realized why he used such strong rings and bases but they sure are strong.. No other mounts and are like this... So he might have know what he was doing...

During the Mosquito Creek Hunt I missed an easy shot that would have been easy with a shotgun but a hard one with a rifle at two coyotes that came right to my calling..  I had the Encore Single Shot Rifle but wished I at least would have had the shotgun at the time....
I know when I did shoot the 223 in the range it grouped well. however at the time I never knew of the problems that many hunters posted about the rifleshotgun have zero problems..

I suppose this Spring....I will go to the range Zero it in again..Go to the shotgun range pattern it...then go back to the rifle range and see if the Zero changed....

By the way over the years  I have seen a few post were people have gotten hit in the head from the recoil of the over under combos.. Just be careful where you do have the scope mounted.

Thing is heavy...it's not the wood one but the black synthetic.

Funny here I am posting of missing coyotes because I did not have the 24V. However years back I missed a coyote because I was shooting down from a ridge and just could not get the Harris bi pod situated just correct and before you knew it the coyote was gone...I will not attach a Harris bi pod to my 24V because of that instance..

Savage shotguns will accept Winchester choke tubes.. So winchoke will work in the 24V 12 gauge. This enables one to use an open choke Cylinder  and # 4 buckshot for real close incoming coyotes..

Colonial choke tube company does sale cylinder chokes for every shotgun...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:54:28 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
by the way when I talk about the Russkies gun company...I think their name was EAA....Um European American Arms or Armory?????????
I did like their guns when the russkies were making them with the EAA..Now I am not talking about he over and under rifle combos.  I do not own an EAA combo........
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:06:08 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 11:17:53 PM »
U.B.  Its my understanding that it was a factory bonded or soldered base to which a weaver rail could be screwed to.You had to be careful you didn't  have one to many threads on the screws or you could break the bond with the barrel.I know where there is one with that setup and forgive me for tramping on toes again but it is also a 12 gauge with a cracked stock.Don't take me wrong savage made some very good versions of the combo gun but do your homework before you jump into anything.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:22:02 PM by foxtrot »