Author Topic: New 17 rimfire comming out first of the year.  (Read 8048 times)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
New 17 rimfire comming out first of the year.
« on: December 19, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
I am not a big rinfire guy but, looks like there must be a demand.

http://www.varminter.com/winchester-worlds-fastest-rimfire-cartridge-coming-2013/
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: New 17 rimfire comming out first of the year.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:28:13 AM »
Surprising Winchester is promoting a rimfire cartridge and they don't produce a rimfire rifle.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »
Foxtrot
I typed in Winchester 22 rifles and found they do sell 22 rifles.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
I have a Winchester Wildcat.  Though it's actually made by TOZ in Russia and imported by Winchester.
Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
The Winchester Wildcat was a rimfire produced in Russia and sold under the Winchester name but was discontinued.Their website still has information about that model under the historic heading.I'm not sure of the last year they were produced.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:07:49 AM »
Petersons hunting has a article on it.

Google 17 whinchester super magnum

Supposed to have more umph then the .22 wmr. Hopefully it wont flop compared to the hmr.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
Very creative on Winchesters part I didn't see that one coming,using a power load from a concrete nailer.I wonder if you will be able to use it in the rimfire only areas?Ben,I wouldn't say the hmr was a flop they sure sold a bunch of them.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
If it is a rimfire.  They have to let you use it in the rimfire only areas.  I know a few people with the 5mm rimfire that use them in those areas.  I have had a number of HMRs over the years.  Most of them Savage.  I love it because it a zipper of a round.  I now have a CZ 452 and absolutely love it.  I'll be keeping this one.  Now that the new 17 hornet is making its way into the market.  I'll be looking to add that to my gun cabinet.  Just waiting for CZ to get their rifle on the market.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »
Yeah, I would also like to see CZ come out with a 17 hornet.  I don't own a CZ or a 17 caliber and I am very interested in both.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
Very creative on Winchesters part I didn't see that one coming,using a power load from a concrete nailer.I wonder if you will be able to use it in the rimfire only areas?Ben,I wouldn't say the hmr was a flop they sure sold a bunch of them.

Your prob the only person that i know that likes it. And you actually reload your rounds which is innovative.  The only thing it ever did well with me was kill paper. Too much for small game and not enough for anything bigger then 3lbs. I was just never a fan of it. Many that i know who bought em for fur do not use them unless they have to.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
I think we are very fortunate to have two new predator calibers coming our way with the 17 supermag and the hornet.Our choices have always been kind of limited.There are rumors of more in the works.We will have to wait and see which ones take off and survive.One thing I don't like is the fact that they tend to get the cart before the horse and manufacture ammo before the rifle is introduced.Hopefully some of the other firearm manufacturers besides Savage will go out on a limb with some of these new calibers.

Offline PA Predator Hunter

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »
I will be trying one of these out. I put a $50.00 deposit down on one. Not sure how it will do with coyotes but I mainly got it for fox and other small critters. Time will tell!!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »
My personal opinion,   when you compare the bullistics, the 17 hornet is a better choice, although its a centerfire.  The 17 hornet is putting out 3650 fps with a 20 gr hornady v amx bullet.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »

http://www.varminter.com/17-winchester-super-magnum-and-the-savage-bmag-rifle-image-gallery/

Click on the URL above and check out these photos of the savage BMag rifle that will be here shortly.  This rifle is chambered for the new 17 WSM rimfire cartridge. 

For those of you who say "Why not just get a centerfire?", here is my response.  I totally see your point... if you don't hunt any rimfire restricted areas then, get a 17hornet, 17fireball, 22hornet, etc.   Some counties in PA have rimfire only restrictions.  I hunt a bit in Chester county and am very giddy about getting my hands on one of these rifles.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
Whats really nice about the 17 cal. is you can still stay focused on your target through the scope after the shot is made.  Very little recoil!!  Keep us posted when you get one!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!