Predator Hunting > Trapping

Anyone getting ready...

<< < (2/5) > >>

Hern:
Jake, trapping I target the old dogs. Same with calling. Opposite of you. Weed'n the garden.

I try to keep adult population down. Younger pairs will mate and have larger litters.
The young get caught or called killed easily by targeting adults. I want the old Fox/Coyote out of there.
By that, I have observed where old, dominate pair of Fox or Coyote produce a small litter of 1 or 2 pups or completely barren with no pups. The area is dead. The old pair controls the area but is void of other Canines.
Several old pairs of Canines in a township or two can lower the population.
This took years of experience and observation for me to figure out.
Once the old pair is removed, younger, healthier pair moves in and population rebounds.
Am not in a high Fox population. So I help them along.
Targeting adult Canines with still produce the young and dumb. Line management is part of fur taking.

On a side note...
Last year I trapped a 16.2 lb. Red Fox, male.
I hadn't trapped this area for years. But it was always a producer. Reds were caught like spit out of a machine gun.
But not last year...
Nothing. 3 of 5  sets were chit on that week. Sets not worked or disturbed. Dealing with Mr. Know-it-all.
The day before I pulled, I tried a trick at one set.
Next morning, that 16 pounder, melon head of a Red looking all embarrassed with those big yellow eyes.

I was very happy with the catch. Not because of it's size or I tricked him. Because I knew this coming season, a young pair will take over and there will be Reds to catch.
Sort like pulling weeds in the garden.

Pa Goosehntr:
Hern says.."Sort like pulling weeds in the garden.".. ??? ??? ??? ??? Between you and jaspr1  :-\ :-\ :-\  I'm gonna start callin one of you, the Green Thumb and the other Mr. Greenjeans!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Misterjake23:
Hern,  I like the old ones too.  They're usually just smarter than me!!

doc holliday:
The kids and I can't wait, we made some wax dirt and have our peat moss. We have a dozen new mb550's to get ready yet.

foxhound:
Hey Doc! Do you still have your sights set on getting a bobcat this year?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version