Author Topic: Your Scent From A Bloodhound  (Read 8021 times)

uncle buck

Your Scent From A Bloodhound
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:32:42 AM »
From April 2009 Readers Digest:

Sorry, but if your"re on the run from one of these, enjoy your freedom while it lasts. Your scent can be tracked through shed skin cells and even exhaled breath, according to Jack Shuler, Author of Training the Mantrailing Bloodhound.  Therefore, changing clothes, crossing water, or using scent masking products will not deter a well trained bloodhound.. 

My comments: 

An Hunters want to use cover scent when hunting coyotes... No wonder so many of us are busted by coyotes when they make their arc down wind of our position....
Yep maybe just maybe the Misting compound of rabbit, red fox, coon, coyote urines intermingled with rotten eggs just might confuse the Eastern Coyote a bit.
As you know that is what misting does to their brain cells confuses them a bit....
However I no longer use red fox cover scent when hunting predators since it's just something else I have to deal with and I think it does not help... 
Now other stinky things? yep I think that might help because coyotes just might be a bit curious....
So next hunt since you might have bad breath... Brush your teeth and dental floss!!!!   

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Your Scent From A Bloodhound
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
UB, i have had yotes 15 yards downwind.

I use homemade colloidal silver,with no sent,just silver and distilled water.

Here is primos brands
http://www.primos.com/silverxp/

Also i wear a bees keepers net sprayed with the silver.
To catch those skin cells.

here is my silver maker setup.a plastic mayonaise jar.

2 holes a inch apart in the top for the silver rods to go down into the distilled water,

how to make the silver.

a dc power source is needed,9volt or 12.or bigger.

like a cordless drill charger,etc.

Cut the plug off put 2 wire clips on the ends.

This takes about 10 minutes.

Get 2 silver bars at a coin shop 999 silver

they will cost you 6 to 10 dollars,and last a lifetime or you can get .9999 silver here 1 foot for 10 dollars.

http://www.ccsilver.com/silver/superfines.html#four
This will also last a long time.

all parts will cost you about 20 dollars new.
but many have the parts needed laying around the house.
After putting it together,it only costs the price of a jug of distilled water.70 cents.

i have about 150 gallons on mine and they are nearly as i bought them.

Here is the instructions.

http://www.lightawtcher.com/makingcolloidalsilver/make_silver_generator3.htm
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:41:34 AM by TROPHIESONLY »

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »
Thank you for sharing you info for everyone.... Interesting.....

I know I do well when hunting deer and coyotes when I take a shower with Baking Soda...Must not only neutralize the baceria on your body but also take away the dead skin for awhile....

Reason they allow Bloodhounds to smell the clothing... Looks like they are getting a wiff of the dead skin...

Also as you all know....Neat country song out there called "Old Red"  Listen to it on the country channel.... About a bloodhound.

Trophiesonly...Yep one thing to call them in...Some people can't even do that... However once they come in they get in direct line with the sound source.  If your in line with that it's over.  Often think about all the callers who call in coyotes but have yet to see their efforts because they get busted on the downwind and when the arc is made by the coyote..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:15:57 PM by uncle buck »

Offline George Ackley

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
uncle buck
whats your thought on how wide the ''ARC'' could be

it's funny you should say that its been on my mined since the new year , just how big of a arc or just how far will they go to down wind yea ..and how can we use it to harvested there fur

I have been seeing some very interesting things.  started to wrighting my thought down on just how far i think they will go to get wind and feel safe but lost interest..

misting works but there is a better smelling way to kill our big eastern
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:48:04 PM by George Ackley »
LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 01:09:37 AM »
George I was hunting a large farm this year.  It was night hunting...I saw the coyote get in line with my Powerdogg speaker at about the 250 yard mark....Now I am starting to break the code on how just to get a shot at these critters when they make the arc.

Problem is many times when you hunt with many people  all it takes is one person to do the wrong thing..Easier to do the wrong thing then the right thing in life .....Always!!!!!

I have called in so many coyotes for people already in Pa...Sometimes they just look at them.. Sometimes they are playing with their light,  sometimes they move from where I tell them to post...coyote the  shows up right where I thought they would be and they are not there to shoot them.

Yes most times they always get in line with the speaker.. One has to make sure that they set up on the correct side of the arc...If you could tell by rocks, barn, ranch house that they can't make their arc on that side... That is the side for the shooter and or you if your using a caller with remote to post cross wind of the direct line of the speaker or the person doing the calling....

You have to learn to choose the weapon based the land your hunting on.... Big farms or wide open acreage...Best to use a rifle even at night time...
Small acre farm or deep woods might be best to set up with a shotgun and use Hevishot or Deadcoyote T shot for over 50 yard shots .

Offline George Ackley

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 05:05:42 PM »
UB, I had the opportunity late last year to watch from a long distance off my nephews calling a large field ,
i was watching though my spotting scope and seen a coyote working a hill side about 300 yard from them
the coyote never stop trotting for one secant and never took its eyes of the direction of the boy calling.
i killed the coyote at 230 yard as it worked it way down the hill side to back door the kids , the coyote laid dead more then 300 yard from them.

this year in Texas I was hunting with 2 other and the guy that set up at the back of my truck on a stool was knocking them down and I was 250 yards away calling , i never seen one coyote he killed till after the fact ..
he told me they just pop out on the road and headed right at him witch would of been 250 yards off my 4 o'clock

I think when hunting with a partner here next year i am going to widen my set a tad ;D
LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »
I agree george.
I am setting up my caller with a 12 minute delay to get downwind far enough,
for open strip mines and such.

i have a seven and have seen a few bust me and go over a ridgetop.

Creek bottoms i have no problem,seems they come close,also woodtop saddles,
but i call upwind,and i set my call under a thicket pile,that is how ive had them so close.As i set up in the crosswind.70 yards plus on the downwind side of the call.

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
What I have notice when they hone in on the caller or speaker....They hold their head errect and keep it in the same position as they walk along..  None of that bouncing like a fox...Kind of an animal that is honed in and set on a mission... Now If there is corn stuble in a field yes they will jump...I am talking about about clear cut fields at night time.  You can tell it's a coyote just how it holds his head.

Predator Extreme article recently highlighted that if a coyote smells you once.. He's got your scent in his senosry areas from then on.  Maybe that is what Hern means too that they even know his truck?

Like any mammal....Ego.......could be there down fall....Play with their brain.  get them upset...you know mammals and ego, then they drop their guard a little and come in upset or mad.....  Kind of make them punch drunk!!!!!!Something about all mamm als the Ego always does them in... Play with that Ego you might get a shot at him....     

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
Now this dry skin that bloodhounds can smell...I don't change hunting clothes for the entire season... There is mud on the pants from October when I quit in February...Only then does it get a good washing.....
Starting to think instead of just washing in Baking Soda and using that Hunter Specialties anti scent soap that I do need to change out some of the outer cover too.  I do have the carbon suits...I do have to agree that when I did wear that,  take a shower with baking soda,  use the anti scent Hunter specialties soap and used my secret mist formula we did get the biggest alpha male... Both my brother and I  did all the same that time...

I agree with Hern too on the keeping of the secret mist forumula a secret.....All it takes is to post that on here and the armchair free lancing outdoor writers will have it in articles and or on the Basspro and Cabelas 's shelf.  That is one of the most kept secrets that I keep do.....The Formula. 

Remember why do we stink because of bacteria..... So take care of all the bacteria that you can and you will be better off..  Will the coyotes still smell you....Yep but, you have to have everything going for you when it comes to coyotes......
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:01:05 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
throw the hunters specialties soap away and use the colloidal silver.

It has no sent the HS soap,still has some sent,and how many archers use it.

A educated coyote knows that smell.

And i always would wear clean clothes washed in water at least.

Pick yours up and smell the rump and groin.

You may laugh,but i know 2 very good pa. coyote hunters,and one smell his cousins pants,and left him home.

I do know that west virginia coyote hunters are doing well smokeing there hunting clothes.

Heres something,i can wear a pair of socks in tennis shoes take them off,and they reek.

My hunting socks are sprayed with silver and dryed,i can wear them in rubber boots,take them off and they have no smell.

Before colloidal silver,even with rubber boots deer would pick up my tracks through the woods,now i have them walk right apast.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:37:37 PM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Your Scent
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:07:45 AM »
I don't get Predator Extreme and haven't read that article. Yes some local Coyote know my scent and also the sound of my pickup. Coyotes have an uncanny ability to remember this. Even Coyotes I haven't shot at, they are the lurkers, the ones that hangup and are on 'full self-preservation mode'.

I explained and agreed  that many called Coyote hang up. It's their nature.
Giving a Coyote a natural travel lane will aid the Coyote to make the next step (final step) to approach a setup and into gun range. I also play with the Coyotes natural habits.
One can play with their mind, but without the proper set up...forget it...you will be blow'n in the wind and they will continue to hang up and one will continue to be unsuccessful.

About scents and being scent free...I try my best to be scent free. Baking soda mostly.
I have hunted outa cabins with multible people. I don't try to be scent free in this case. Musty  cabin smells, smoking, cooking smells, spilling whiskey on myself...forget it. Very hard to be scent free with several folks in the same cabin.
At home, I try to be as scent free as possible, but don't get freaked out about it. I know some folks that are freaky about their scent.
I gas up the pickup a day or two before my hunts. I never gas up during a hunt with my hunting boots on. Look at the pavement at a convenience store/gas pumps...yips! oil, gum, spit, tobacco...no way I want them on my boots.

Offline Jake

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »
 Hern I agree ;)
   To have a good Hunt, with deer or coyote, it is not the smell as it is the set up, Yea you do want to go to the woods smelling bad either.
I hunted since I was 12 and I am 53:  Bow  Hunt , Trapped , bear Hunt and yes coyote,  spent 20 yrs in the Army, Where I use to be an Instructor in Land Navagation. it has to do with the terrain,  and using it to your advange. yes I love studying with a Passion any of the game I am hunting,  There is no way I would call my self a master hunter, there is aways more to learn. belonging to sites like these and Uncle Bucks, I get alot of good Info.
  get info from farmers of any activity.  I always us the terrian to my advantage,  If it is area that I haven't been, I look at a Topo Map, You can get them at any County office Bld. of the county you are going to hunt. or mapping Sites on the net.
then I do a dry run during the day light a few days before this  gives more time to plan my set up.things look differnt than at night of even the best way to enter the woods.
Planning the terrain is a key that is my thought.  but I respect every Coyote hunter because, there is always more to learn.
It is, What it Is.

Offline lunchbox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 04:28:29 PM »
Yea the map out areas work but for me i use google earth you can print out the area get differnt veiws ect it has helped alot for me in hunting and fishing plus its always good to know surronding areas you hunt to maybe make a cut off and to find more places to hunt. :)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline lunchbox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 01:32:04 AM »
Trophiesonly,
     when that stuff is done what do you do? it dont seem that it makes that much do you keep making more or add more water? and the website says  "keep it running for 3-4 hours minutes" how long really hours or minutes? im intrested in making some and trying it out. Tanks