General Outdoors > Hunting

Recently went to a deer hunting seminar by the guy that own this.

(1/5) > >>

uncle buck:
http://www.wildernessescape.com/

Wow did I learn some thing from this outfitter...   For example.. He explained how to stalk at deer in snow.. Just by what the tracks do tell you what the deer is thinking or would like to do... For  example:  You see the deer do a J Hook in the snow when your tracking it.. That means the deer knows your following him and what he's doing is stopping and turning and looking back at you... Also doe walk in a straight line and buck tracks run along each other.. That BS about the drag mark in the snow being  buck. That drag mark means the deer is tried or it's a big deer... Just like the ladies.. Doe are heavier in the back so their back tracks will sink in deeper than a buck.. A buck is heavier in the front so their front tracks sink in deeper.. The guy uses open sighted lever actions or open sighted pumps on his stalks too.. No scopes...no bolt acitons... He walks just like a deer to...  4 steps and stop.. the deer think it's another deer.. in snow it three steps and level out. and in crusty snow it's two steps and of course the back crush makes the deer think it be just another deer not hunter so they don't run away..   

uncle buck:
So in Pa... I am sometime just after a antlerless deer for some meat for the winter.. I don't care about tracking a big buck but would just like to do this for even shooting a doe... Now I have already killed doe in woodlots like this.. Walking 4 steps and stopping.. Wind in my face.. 4 more steps.. the doe thought I was a another deer.  So it got up to see what deer was coming along and it was me.. I shot her with an single shot Encore   3006 with a scope set on 3 power...   see this is how I knew this guy was not a BS...You have to make the deer think your another deer if your going to walk for them...   I do want to try this with a pump and or lever action without a scope...Just think how exciting that would be to do this.. Maybe on the Weds after the open to try this when everyone has gone back to work and few are in the deer woods...

PS  I do have a hard time taking a scope off of one of my deer rifles!!  :) Anyone have a used  30/30 or 35 Rem Lever  for sale?  LOL  LOL

PS  He even uses a the lever that has the wide opening on it like John Wayne used so his glove fits in it in the cold weather.. Yes and when he shoots he throws lead..

Hern:
Our family learn/hone Deer tracking skills in the mid-80's when we hunted in the state of Maine.
We rented a small cabin from Dan Peterson near Jackman. I trapped with his son, Danny, back then.
In northern Maine, Deer are scarce, very low population. Deer are hunted by tracking a Deer until you see it and get a shot. A compass, food, gear to spend the night & tracking skills are needed to harvest a Deer.
UB, I read your 1st post and thought...yea, that's what we learned in Maine from Dan & Danny. They were not guides, but knew how to kill Deer in northern Maine and gave us tips.

One evening we met back at the Jeeps. My brother looked played out. He said he was following a Buck all afternoon. The Buck circled to his right and crossed my brothers tracks two times.
The Deer circled and seem to want to stay in that area.
Brother had a plan for the next day...
We were at the same area early the next day. We found the Buck's fresh tracks. I was to hound the fresh tracks and brother was a trailer, shooter, following several hundred yards behind me. Brother would keep pace behind me. Hunter and Hound method. Brother would keep pace behind me. He keenly watched for the Buck to circle me as he did to my brother the day before.
Around noon-1 o'clock, brother's plan paid off. He killed an 8 pointer, 234 lbs. field dress circling behind me.
I dressed light for a day of hounding and was relived to hear his gun shot.

We learn a few more things in the northern Maine woods, but that's for another time.
For years, our family would rent a remote lodge, the first week of August, on Beaver Pond in the White Mountains. Fishing/Relaxing/Family stuff was great there.

Pa Goosehntr:
 ;) ;) ;) ;) I liked that story Hern  :) :) :) :) :)

Bowman66:
Thank you Hern! For a moment i was in Maine deer hunting, I love a good deer story!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version