Author Topic: morels  (Read 10127 times)

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
Re: morels
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 07:32:31 AM »
I wish I would have saved some pictures of some giant yellow morels I found in some mayapples last year. They were as big as my beer can. Of course, I'd take a mess of the little gray ones anytime.

That's one thing I noticed I get blacks, yellows and grays in different areas. Are they different species or what?
Because the Yellow ones are always the biggest and the gray ones are always real small. Anybody know?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »
I have a mushroom book at home.  I will see if it mentions anything in there when I get home today.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
I don't know if they are subspecies or just color phases, but there are
black morels
yellow morels
half free morels ( i believe are different species)
and false morels ( i believe are different species)

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »
Yeah I believe the Half Free are the little gray ones that look like a brain. They're deeee-lish!!!

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
Oh and Bellwood is just north of Altoona.

uncle buck

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 05:07:52 PM »
There's Black...That's the biggest I have ever seen..
There are Yellows... I think your grays might be just yellows?
Then there are what they call Semi's.  They don't look like the yellow or blacks at all..

They kind of grow on the same terrain... Watch for Blacks right along large rocks or boulders.  Find your stands of Tulip Poplars, with black or dark dirt, and Mayapple and Jack-in-the-pulpit ... Now just because all this prevails does not mean they will be there..

See good shroomers....You got to be able to ID Trees...Not only for Morels but for all kinds of edible mushrooms..

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »
I think I am gonna head to the mountians this weekend and see what is popping up.  these warm rains will be a help.  but its still getting cold at night. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »
Any one find any morels yet? It's probably still a little early but with this warm day maybe some will come up tonight. I sure wish I could go look tomorrow, but have to go to work. Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to hunt for some. Good luck to all

uncle buck

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
This rain and if we get more warm nights they should start to pop up...