Author Topic: morels  (Read 10126 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
morels
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:16:18 AM »
with the warm weather I figured morels might come earlier.  no dice with the weather in store this year.  Can't wait till I can go out and find some. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: morels
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
Ben, ship them all to me,
I'll get my address to you

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:07 PM »
no way bud.  I fry em up with trout in that recipe with the cream you do.  man is that some tasty stuff.  last year they were hard to come by.  my mushroom area was invaded during the week last year by people that ventured into the mountian and trespassed on ground because they were only hunting mushrooms.  they must have thought those posted signs were not for them?  oh well.  gonna keep my eyes out for these tasty morsels once april hits.  we still got a bit to go though with the weather we are having. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »
what do you do for ticks? last year I think I dug out more ticks than I found morels, with experienced morel guys...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »
I'll have to post that crab stuffed morel recipe.
Dj, its hard to find morels without finding the ticks

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »
I found quite a few new spots that I can't wait to check out. Last year was awesome for them where I went. I need to figure out the best way to dry some so I can have them for a wild game bbq in august. Anybody ever dry them? I don't think you can freeze or can them. I heard you gotta dry them out. Maybe use a dehydrator?

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
I found quite a few new spots that I can't wait to check out. Last year was awesome for them where I went. I need to figure out the best way to dry some so I can have them for a wild game bbq in august. Anybody ever dry them? I don't think you can freeze or can them. I heard you gotta dry them out. Maybe use a dehydrator?

Take about 4  to 5 morel.. Place in a brown lunch bag and place on your  frig... Check them daily.. In about 3 days they will be dry and you can just put them in a plastic bag.. I keep my now dried morel's  in the plastic bag  frig. You can even have these dried Morel's come Christmas morning with eggs or what ever..   Just don't put more then 5 in each lunch bag during the drying  process..

As far as TICKS... Repel makes an anti tick spray that will keep them off you.. You spray it on your clothers not body.. It last two weeks.. It kills them.. You spray on your shoes and ankles.. Of course I spray it also on my jeans and on my back and on my hat too.  You can get this spray at Wal-Mart,  Basspro, Dicks, etc....  Orange spray can with a blue lid.  

This is it right here:  you will never have a tick problem again if you use this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gemplers.com/product/PTR1/N-A-REPEL-Permanone-Tick-Repellent
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:01:14 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
I found a new area last year to find morels. Took off work the one day and found around 500 morels. I had so many I had to give a bunch to some neighbors. Hopefully they are just as plentiful this spring....I sure am hungry!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »
Willing to share?  I can't find any.  Can trade you for something else.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »
Lookin4fur- As soon as they are up just lemme know when you can go.   I see you're dist. 4
you near bellwood?  You're more than welcome to come along. If you can't go and just want some, I can do that too.

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »
So many times I find Morel's in the May Apple plants...I do wear those high top turkey hunting boots that are snake proof..As of yet never step on a copperhead or rattler yet.... However I  once read the rattlers are always at high elevations not in the low lands.. Ya once heard?  You never know when a rattle will be in the lowlands... Copperheads? You just never know where they are that's for sure.  Anyway...Morel hunting...You do have to take precautions when walking through the high Mayapple...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
I just bring a walking stick to move the may apples around before moving forward.  makes it easier to see the morels as well. 

as far as ticks.  yeah your gonna get em.  but I try to wear my knee high muck boots and I do a tick check as soon as I get home.  just part of the gig of being outdoors. 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 09:19:44 AM »
Song Dog, I definately want to go with you.  I don't know where bellwood is but I will find it.  I live in Mechanicsburg.

Uncle Buck, snakes can be anywhere but the majority of rattlers are above 1000 feet in elevation.  More males will come down when heading to another hill searching for mates.  Copperheads are usually lower. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »
Lookn4fur, I can't really take other people with me because where I find them I have special permission from the landowner to hunt his property and I am specifically told that I am not authorized to give any one else permission to set foot on it. Sounds crazy and very touchy, but I'm not the landowner. Otherwise I would gladly take other people along. It's an awesome place to hunt as well, but that comes with a price tag. I have to help plant trees, clear logging roads, etc. Just a tip though when it comes to gaining access to private ground, first offer to help clean up from a storm or offer to pay the years taxes in exchange for hunting rights. Doors can open pretty quickly. I have a few new places to hunt morels this spring, but have no idea if I will have any luck. Good luck to you and Song Dog...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »
Wow!
How much do the taxes run on an average farm?