Author Topic: pulled pork  (Read 6695 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
pulled pork
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:31:12 PM »
every year my family has a party.  This year my father wanted to do pulled pork but wanted it smoked.  Well I got to do the honors and I can tell ya I was a bit uneasy smoking 80lbs of pork but nothing was left at the end of the day.  

here is a run down of what went on through out the day.  

up at 4 in the morning to get the charcoal going.  I am using just a regular charcoal chimney on top of a propane gas burner.

The meat.  Prepackaged boston butts or shoulder roasts.  already deboned.  yellow mustard brush and bowl as well.  I use the yellow mustard to act as glue to hold the rub on.  Pour some into the small bowl and use a brush to brush it on.  you want a thin layer.

Here I am spreading the mustard on in all the nooks and crannys and then applying rub.  

Here they are all rubbed up and into the smoker.  I place the fat cap on the bottom so if a flare up happens it doesnt burn the outside.  I smoked em with hickory wood chunks and kept the temp between 200-250.

here they are when they hit an internal temp of 160.  at this point I put them in foil pans and covered with foil.  I also stopped putting in wood chunks.  Kept cooker at 200-250 yet.  

here it is pulled.  It took close to 8 hours till it hit an internal of 190-200.  I then pulled the fire trays out and let the butts rest for a hour to redistribute the juices.  then pulled them apart and this is what I got.  

on a bun with home made sauce.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 02:31:49 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
Re: pulled pork
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
Nothing like smoked Butts for pulled pork! Last year I smoked 30# of Butts for the group of guys I shoot Flintlock with. They all keep begging me to do it again this year. I just didn't have time this year to get it done. Like Ben stated there is alot of time involved in doing this, but the out come is worth the wait.

That looks delicious Ben your makin' me hungry!!
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:40:07 AM »
Looks good, Ben.
I'll have to give that a try.
I use wife's grandma's recipe from North Carolina.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:12:44 AM »
Looks gooood Ben  ;D But where is the cole slaw and hot sauce???
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »
thats nothin but filler goose.  i am a meatatarian.  I like meat.  no filler required on a good pork sammich.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:36:26 AM »
thats nothin but filler goose.  i am a meatatarian.  I like meat.  no filler required on a good pork sammich.

I couldn't agree more! No slaw for me either ;)
>>>------Brian------>

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »
What do you use for your homemade sauce? Pulled pork is Great but the sauce makes the sandwich!
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
To tell ya the truth that is one thing I won't give away.  it is a ketchup base and is a sweet and tangy sauce.  not really a southern sauce or a really sweet sauce.  if you really want to get into different sauces and rubs go to the smoking meat forums.  there is tons of useful information on there to start a base recipe.   ;)

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:15:46 AM »
I think I had some of that Pulled Pork that Ben made? Had all kinds of food that Ben and His family made actually..If this is what was served on Sept 11Th?  everything was outstanding ..The entire family should get into catering!!!! ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:17:58 AM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »
the pictures above is that pork I made for that weekend UB. 

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
Ben I know the site you are talking about. That is were I learned everything about smoking & BBQing meats. I have the sauce recipe you mentioned, but have tweeked it a little to my tastes.
>>>------Brian------>

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
this sauce recipe I use isn't the one that jeff came up with at that board.  I do use his rub and like it a lot tho.  maybe this summer for the d2/d4 get together if there is one I will make up some pulled pork BBQ for the sat night supper.

Offline Shurshot

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
Hey Big Ben,Thanks for posting your how you do your pulled pork.I have been experimenting for over a year with no success to my liking. I have experimented three times now with my own concoction (similar to how you do it)and I do believe I am very close to what I want and like.I do a Texas style Beef Brisket and it is the best so I have been told and needed to come up with a good Pulled Pork.I think I'm close.Today we have our reunion and 15 lbs will be tried by a bunch of guinea pigs.My better half has been doing her own experimenting with a sauce for the pork and it is on the warm side but very good.
The Best Is Yet To Come ! I'm telling you !