Author Topic: Who likes hunting during the full moon or doesn't?  (Read 5051 times)

uncle buck

Who likes hunting during the full moon or doesn't?
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:09:12 PM »
I hate hunting during the full moon for fox.. Now I have to use every trick I have in the book to kill fox then... I Just notice this year Full Moon.. Was a bummer for hunters that do hate calling during a full moon..

Fox season started on a full moon week end.. Oct 23 2010,  Bobcat season started on a full moon week end Dec 18 2010 and now fox season closes  during the full moon period too Feb 19 2011.

Some ways that I have scored during the full moon are:  
To wear Predator Gray Camo  made by Predator Camo
To hide in the shadows, tree lines, or up against a bale of hay or farm equipment
To call just where it's legal
To stay out of the fields

OK I would like to hear who hates to hunt during the Full Moon and Who does not mind to hunt during the full moon ?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:09:46 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Who likes hunting during the full moon or doesn't?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:17:22 AM »
I always feel like I am under a spotlight when hunting the full moon.
But that's OK. If I want to hunt, I hunt. I just make a few adjustments.
I also hunt day light hours, so full moon is no biggy for me.
Tom P. and I hunted two of those moon lite nights this season and had enough call ins.
Over the years, my trapline has produce large catches during full moon.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:18:41 AM by Hern »

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »
i really like hunting during the full moon period. We have called in more coyotes on the nights around full moons then any other days. most times we don't even use a light til we go to shoot. unfortunately me and yote204 aren't the best shots when we have coyote fever ;D

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
I recently read a research on paper provided to me by one of our members on here... person writing the paper claimed that coyotes will respond to howl better on a full moon night... Also it further claimed that they would come to call better on full moon nights too... Also that they would come to the calls more so on a windy night compared to a low wind night...So just maybe we all should be hunting coyotes on full moon nights when the wind has picked up a bit not fox??????????????????????
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:25:45 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »
I've noticed that coon catches go through the roof when its warm and a full moon but thats about all i have luck with. With fox for me it feels like every moove you make is magnified x10 cause of the brightness. It won't stop me from goin out it just isn't usually as productive especially because i use all mouth calls and theyre lookin for that rabit or bird. But if its full moon and snow i usually have poor luck calling them accross fields because i guess they think that they stand out too much or somethin. if its full moon and snow i try to get to a little brushy gutter that leads up to the woods and it works a little better for me. Thats just me though. one good thing bout full moon for me is that you don't need a light a lot of times

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
Oh and i agree with you guys about the coyotes being more willing to respond to howls on full moons. Both yotes ive ever called in in york have been durring a full moon but like i said previously fox doesn't work the best for me with full moon.