Author Topic: Passing Rabies Vaccines To Coon  (Read 2346 times)

uncle buck

Passing Rabies Vaccines To Coon
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »
Surely you old timers remember when it was so bad in Pa that the PGC wanted fox hunters to harvest fox in the summer time..Kind of gave us a wavier to do it and help them control the rabies epedemic?..Counties like Fulton, Cumberland, York, Franklin counties...

I also remember the PGC putting out baits with rabies vaccine in them to control the spread of rabies...The target animal was the coon...I often wonder if they still do this?

Anyway....you all remember this if a government agency wants to take predator hunting away...Say..Hey!!!back in the late 80's you asked os to help you out when rabies was  spreading...We helped you out then... Now  you want to take it away....See we are kind of like a milita... So sharpen your skills you younger guys might be called up to help the Commonwealth of Pa..When again rabies spreads through out our 67 counties.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:25:43 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Passing Rabies Vaccines To Coon
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:47:50 AM »
UB, I recall those rabies outbreaks. And there will be another.
Hone ALL your outdoor skills.
Am on a list to trap 'Ferral Hogs'.
This isn't a slip-shot program, it's a highly regulated program...right here in Pennsylvania....right now!

I started helping the PGC when I was a boy. The PGC provided me with Rabbit traps.
That was regulated trapping. I removed Rabbits from town and relocated them where hunting was available.

uncle buck

Re: Passing Rabies Vaccines To Coon
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 10:20:52 PM »
I remember  killing a rabbit in Snyder county on Nov 10 1960 it had a Hern B.  tag in it's ear..  LOL LOL
Hern that is neat...I always wanted to do the rabbit thing with the PGC..Seems liked the older guys did it in my town..  I think they got $.50 or $.75  a rabbit.  that truly would of also made my day doing that...trapping rabbits in those green box traps..

Will be neat to hear about your exploits when you go after those Bedford County hogs...Just plain neat...Will you use a special leg hold trap? Jump trap or cable restraints?   Since hog have hooves like live stock?