Author Topic: Antler Restrictions  (Read 24521 times)

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
Antler Restrictions
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 09:17:40 AM »
How do you vote?  It shows me the results (3 for, 3 against), but it won't let me cast a vote.

I hate the new antler restrictions.  I'm 38 years old, and have been hunting since age 12.  In 27 years of hunting, I've only seen one 8-point or better buck, and I got it (a nice 9-point).  The law now says I can not shoot a buck unless it is a 'once in a lifetime' trophy.  I've had my once in a lifetime.  I might never see another 8 pointer in my life.

If they don't want spikes shot, they could say 'minimum 3 pointer', but come on, 4 points on one side?

The few 8-pointers or better our there get shot by poachers.  That's a whole different issue altogether, but we all know it happens, and most don't get caught.  It hurts the rest of us who are honest.

Offline WX3Y

Deer Population
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 06:46:34 AM »
I deer hunt in Perry County (NewGermantown area). On the second day of buck around noon we would always drive the length of the valley and count the deer that were hanging (field dressed) at camps. There would be anywhere from 50 to 80 deer hanging at these camps every year. Two seasons ago (2004-2005) we counted 28. Last year, the 2005 season counted 9. I must add, I did not see even one tail these last two years. It is the poorest hunting on state lands that there could ever be. I wonder why we should support this destruction of our game by purchasing hunting licenses. I for one am thinking it is a waste of time to go and sit in an empty woods.
the member
WX3Y
lharman@ptd.net

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Antler Restrictions
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 07:45:51 AM »
I'm with you brother, lets see if we can get them to put ground hog on the furbearers list and give up buying a regular license... :twisted:
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
Antler Restrictions
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 08:54:05 AM »
Dale,

Excellent point.  If they put groundhog on the furbearer list, I'd be done buying regular hunting licenses.  I can drive to WV to deer hunt.

Offline Terry Keller

Antler Restrictions
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 11:36:22 AM »
Don`t mind the restrictions as much as going in the woods and not seeing any thing. My son starts hunting this year and i hope that he can atleast see somthing if not get a deer to experiance what he has looked forward to all these years trailing along with me on the hunts. Hunters need to know when to shoot a doe and when they should let them walk by and not be brain washed by the game commision .

Offline gdragon

• Junior Forum Member
Antler Restrictions
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 01:00:48 PM »
I am for the antler restriction. Two of the nicest bucks I shot were in the last 2 seasons. My gripe is with the "If it's brown it's down" season we have. Killing off all the does is why we don't see any deer. According to the Game Commission website they are not planning on changing that either.

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
Antler Restrictions
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 07:18:10 PM »
gdragon,

Just another point of view: I haven't seen a legal buck with these new antler restrictions, so I've taken doe every year since they started the new rules.  Before they started the new rules, I got a buck almost every year, and didn't mind letting doe walk.  My family eats the meat, nothing goes to waste, and if I can't even see legal buck anymore, then I must shoot doe for us to have venison to eat.

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Antler Restriction
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
Member,

Here is an article that might answer some of your concerns.

An article in todays 04/13/06 newspaper The Sentinel from Carlisle addresses 3 Perry County teens, one 18 and two 17-year-olds being charged with killing or attempting to kill eight deer. Between March 1 and 23, they are accused of "spotlighting" or using artificial lights, while targeting at least eight seperate deer at night. It goes on to say the total number of poached deer could be as high as 50. The deer were targeted in at least six Perry County townships: Juniata. Tuscarora, Greenwood, Howe, Liverpool and Buffalo.

A PGC supervisor said that "It just seemed like a kill for a thrill, They just wanted to watch deer fall.

Officials first began getting reports of poached deer in January. Community members such as school bus drivers reported seeing dead deer along the side of the road. Investigators determined the animals had been shot. Deer were shot during the night and left to rot. The article goes on to say that eventually, officials received a description of a suspect vehicle, and were finally able to put the picture together. Some of the landowners finding the deer chose not to report it. In one case, a landowner was aware of five poached deer on his acerage and still declined to contact officials.

Offline WX3Y

Antler Restrictions
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 05:57:44 AM »
nitelight,
   Thanks for the input. I would like to know what they get. If you hear more please post it.
   This whole affair has me pissed and this just adds to it. A thought just occured (see, Dale I still have thought processes) they are predators and they are out at night, wonder what call to use to call stupid people......
WX3Y
lharman@ptd.net

Offline nitelight

• Junior Forum Member
Post subject
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 08:11:38 AM »
If convicted of all charges, the three face fines of up to $5,600. They also would have their hunting and trapping privileges revoked.

Offline eigermike

Antler Restrictions
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 08:19:06 PM »
I agree with ar. I hunt in south west venango county which is a 4 pt. area. My opinion is that everyone should count points even jr. hunters maybe I'm wrong but I feel if you are going to teach someone to hunt don't make it so easy on them if young person wants to hunt he or she will hunt . And what go does it do for to let a 6 pt. go when on down the trail a jr. hunter can kill the same deer I have to let go? I also think that the game comm. isn't all to blame for a lot smaller deer heards. We as hunters have to take part of the blame because we are the ones who shot the does also I don't think the game comm. is ever going back to the way it was.

BP

Antler Restrictions
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »
Quote from: "BigBlue"
It's hard to get young hunters interested in hunting when they can't even see a deer.

The PGC better soon realize this for their own good.  I never thought I would see the day when deer in PA were decimated and hardly any hunters are in the woods.  There is no tradition left to pass on.

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
Antler Restrictions
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 10:10:46 AM »
I am from Indiana County there is deer where I live but the last 2 years I have noticed a lot of big 5 @ 6 points in my area and they are the ones doing the breading so we will have more big 5@6 points for the future.I think the PGH needs to reverse the Antler Restriction and get ridd of scrub buck so the big ones can do most of the breeding. The 5@6 point bucks I,ve been seeing are approx. 4@5 years old. With 30+ years of deer hunting and helping my bother on his deer farm I,m fairly good at judging the age. I also think the PGH needs to go back to the 2 or 3 days of doe season.

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: Antler Restrictions
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 08:26:40 PM »
Quote from: "coyotewantokill"
Quote from: "ppha"
What is your thoughts on antler restrictions?
I like the restrictions but hate doe season in conjunction with buck season

I agree, do away with the concurrent doe/buck season.

bootmud