Author Topic: Second Night Out  (Read 1400 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Second Night Out
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »
Well I made out tonight after archery hunting.  My first stand got interupted by a duck hunter coming in in his truck to check the pond to see if anything was on the water.  After talking to him for awhile.  I went back to what I was doing.  I sarted the Power Dogg off with a Coyote Challenge then switched over to a Howl.  Nothing responded to those.  I sat for a few minutes waiting for things to settle again.  I hit the rodent distress off/on for a few minutes.  I heard something coming down along the corn.  To my surprise I saw eyes but could not make out the body.  So no shot.

I got up from there and moved out the lane pass my truck.  Where the duck hunter said he would see the deer and fox cross.  I set up about 30yds off the lane overlooking a soybean field.  This time I just used the rodent distress call off/on for about 5mins.  I saw eyes in the thicket between the fields.  I turned on the gun light and brought it down to light up a fox at about 10yds.  I pulled the trigger.  Bammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I went over to where the thing was standing.  Nothing.  No blood. No fur.  Just splinters in the cedar next to where it was standing.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Second Night Out
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
keep at it bud....i gotta return the favor from last years hunt on your turf so you can come down here and hunt my turf. maybe during the district vs district hunt like last year?

and another thing...i woulda never let the duck "hunter" known you were there...i woulda stayed tucked in till he left. no sense advertising and ruining a hunt by breaking your stand. i woulda held tight and waited till he left...gave it 10 mins to settle down than started calling again.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:43 PM »
He came in as I was setting up.  I just got off the with a guy he said he knew.  The guys pays to hunt there.  I'll take you up on the DvD hunt in January.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:37:20 PM by swarter2 »
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline HuntinFool

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 07:23:59 AM »
keep at it i have yet to make it out, this year has been very busy and the weird thing is everytime i go out lately i dont want to stay.  maybe i need to get a fox or  two and then back for deer.

we will have to get together this year and hunt

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 09:07:27 AM »
Awesome Dave! Glad you got out. I did the same thing the other night but I misjudged the distance with my shotgun. That's tough calling them in, getting the shot and walking out of there shaking your head. I'll give you some advice that I got off here last year. Wait about a week and go back around the same time you called it in this time. I did this last year 3 different times in the same area and all around 10pm until I finally got it the very last day of the season.
FayetteNam