General Outdoors > <*}}}>< Fishing

Surf Fishing in NJ?????

(1/2) > >>

scott:
Forrest has been invited to go fishing for a couple of days on the New Jersey Beach.   I have never fishing the surf and I am not sure what he will need besides a tentnus shot.   Any help with what type of rod and reel he will need, plus any tackle he should be using,  he is going in the early part of October..   

Misterjake23:
A fishing license !

uncle buck:
He will need Pyramid sinkers.  Also salt water hooks.  Best to buy some of the salt water harnesses that you place the pyramid sinker on the bottom and attach two salt water hooks that already have the leaders on them. You can fish two baits.... My best bait has always been Mullet that time of the year.  You can get a block of them frozen at all bait shops but at times they do have the fresh ones too.. You can put them on who or slice them in two and use as cut bait... Once you catch your first let say a small Blue fish you can also use that as cut bait... There are other baits they use down there.. Squid, blood worms, etc.. I always ask in the bait shops what are they hitting on... In Walmart there is some of the catfish bait that is large silver shad in a package... I have caught some big Flounder along the jetties using the rig I described to you above and those  shad.  I know you know what i.m talking about.. They usually have them hanging in Walmart where the catfish bait is..they are silver in color and they do call them Shad.. They might have black dot on the body..  All Wal Marts will have surf combos down in NJ..  They cost about $30.00 for rod and reel and the good thing you can use it for Channel Cat fishing in Pa...You want the open bail spinning reel with about 10 pound at minimum of line on it.. You can go a bit heavier if you think he will hook into Stripers.   This si real important what i'm going to say next:  Tell him everyday after he is done go to where people wash their feet off near by or back at the motel and wash the reel off by tipping it in fresh water in their sink or at those places along the beach the public wash the sand off their feet.. The salt water will destroy the inside working of the reel and it will render it useless. Tell him dip the entire reel in a utilty sink if the motel have them... They usually have a room on the bottom floor to get rid of sand so people don't take them in the rooms... I have surf reels now about  20 years old because I took care of the insides..  Stay away from spincast type reels for obvious .  Also there are now laws that you have to go on a computer and say that you will be fishing in the ocean.. No cost they just want to know the number of people using the fishery..    I think this is mainly because of the striper fishing...  Make sure the fishing rod can be broken down and it's not one piece. Better for traveling in trunks and peoples vehicle...

uncle buck:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=surf+fishing+rigs+pyramid+sinkers.&qpvt=Surf+fishing+rigs+pyramid+sinkers.&qpvt=Surf+fishing+rigs+pyramid+sinkers.&FORM=IGRE

uncle buck:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Still+Fishing+Rig&FORM=IRIBEP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version