Author Topic: Theory, No Proof, BS, Not Proven  (Read 21883 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Theory, No Proof, BS, Not Proven
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Interesting subject.  I do not know if I believe in core areas or not.  I do believe that if an animal is pressured it will travel to another area that has good habitat.  a core area however can be anything really though and I think it is more along the lines of being misused then anything.  I think bob is on track with it though.  Anything can spend a lot of time in one area and then move on for various reasons.  they could stay for a year or less then a few days.  pressure, food, weather can make them pick up and move anywhere.  The scenario that bob came up with I believe is more reality then anything.  

all I know is the only times I have called one in is when I found an area that was obviously an area they were working a lot.  could be a core area for the moment but they would move on.  but sometimes they would move on without me calling so I figured they moved to greener pastures then with better habitat.   
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:38:56 AM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
I enjoyed the video that Dave D u n b a r put on a few web sites.  It lasted an hour and I watched it..I wish I could find that video again and comprehend more of it....See the young Dr... she spoke in the video of Coyote core areas... They are always around water and or swamp areas.
So based on her knowledge she claims that coyote core areas will be around water....
First off....deer......you find the deer after Christmas now and your going to probably call in coyotes...
Travel routes... Many of the areas I do find them are near railroads and waterways... Some of the major streams and rivers of Pa....Streams can be up to 3 to 4 miles away...
Recently this year...It has been when using the woodpecker sound for fox that the coyotes get vocal and then I go right to the coyote calling scenario that I use.. I would like to watch that video again...Now grant you....it's a 1 hour video.. But see it's people that will sit and watch things like this on the tube for 1 hour that learn a few things..Bits and pieces of things like...If you feed coyotes Caron such as dead sheep.. You throw them out on a pile on some farm.. What your doing is making those coyote sheep killers.

Yep!!!Wind Stop!!!I want to give E. W. Rest A Real Work Out!!!  Also the XLR 250 Kill Light Too!!!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:53:20 AM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
Hunting coyotes in most cases in Pa is luck unless you see the animals in an area or find tracks. There is a huge difference in hunting coyotes here in Pa vs Texas or Wyoming. Anyone with reasonable talent with a hand call or using a e caller can call coyotes out west. It's just a game of numbers. There is far more coyotes out west. As far as core areas I believe coyotes will stay in areas were food is unless it's mating season. I have hunted in pa this year 15 times and called in 3 coyotes without a kill. There tough here in Pa. Another reason coyotes kills are higher out west like Wyoming the cover is more open thus you can see the animal coming further. Not so here in Pa. I honestly feel that the coyote population will grow big time in our state due to the dense undergrowth.

If you guys yanked their chain more you would see it's not tough to call them in..If they are there and you play with their brain they are going to come in...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »

Theres a book that I believe Slim Petersen wrote that goes through the walks of life for a pair of coyotes.  Maybe Hern or someone else can help with the title.  A differeny book but kind of neat.....

Life of a coyote and its survival in the wild--slim pedersen
I read it and loved it

Renny

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 10:52:10 AM »
What about core areas in breeding season?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:03:49 AM by Renny »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »
I think its the same deal,
but shouldn't we call it a denning area?

If she has multiple den sites ready before the breeding season, she can still move the den
to less pressured areas.
I don't think a den site will move due to lack of food though,
I think the hunting male and others will just travel further to get the groceries   

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
I was wondering about that as well renny.  There was a pack of coyotes on the neighboring farm that had pups for three years.  Every late jan-feb they moved onto the farm or at least made their presence known.  Then they would have pups and around september they dispersed.  I never seen very much sign after dispersal happened.  but they haven't been around for the past two years either.  So I am thinking they found better ground to den in.  
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Renny

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
But are there boundaries they wont cross?  ie.  enter anothers "core" area...... in denning season I mean...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:07:42 AM by Renny »

uncle buck

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »
I would think when the Horns hit...They move around quite a bit.. let say Jan...Once they pair up they would stay in a Core Area.. I would think they would be real vunerable to other coyote vocalization once they pair up...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »
Insert Quote
Do you guys think coyotes have a core area in breeding season?

That is a given, they even use the same den sites if they can year after year. They will have more then one den site in there core area though.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
I think if food is scarce enough, the hunters will move into a neighbors denning area for food.
But they are extremely territorial and aggressive to these trespassers

Like people, the closer you are to home the braver you are

uncle buck

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »
Then there is that theory....That they have to eat constant in the winter to give them energy..Unlike a red fox that will go and lay on top of the hill and snooze.. Coyotes they say can be called in the daytime to since they need energy.. However I have luck using coyote vocalizations mingled with food sounds in the Jan Feb time frame... In other words calling coyotes like you would call fox...Constant  in some instances using the same food sounds for 30 minutes does not work... If they need the energy you would think they would come to only food sounds then...IMO they don't.  The young and greenies will come to the food sounds in Sept...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 11:14:07 AM »
Unclebuck
The adults are already paired up. The young pups are the ones looking for a mate and a home.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
Then there is that theory....That they have to eat constant in the winter to give them energy..Unlike a red fox that will go and lay on top of the hill and snooze.. Coyotes they say can be called in the daytime to since they need energy.. However I have luck using coyote vocalizations mingled with food sounds in the Jan Feb time frame... In other words calling coyotes like you would call fox...Constant  in some instances using the same food sounds for 30 minutes does not work... If they need the energy you would think they would come to only food sounds then...IMO they don't.  The young and greenies will come to the food sounds in Sept...

True story:
We laid down 45 minutes of different prey distress, finished with an interrogation howl
and had coyotes light up 200yards away and cross an open cut field to our location 5 minutes later,
This happen at 9:30 am
the mated pair came in, female was 36 pounds male was much bigger(I missed)
This was in Febuary
The distress didn't work
the coyote vocals did,and almost instantly

uncle buck

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
Unclebuck
The adults are already paired up. The young pups are the ones looking for a mate and a home.

Paired up!!! You might be correct... I have been calling in more then one at a time this year....This was in November...