Our Sponsors > Custom Calls

New Lathe

(1/2) > >>

bootmud:
I've been tinkering around with my new lathe.   Here's the first few calls that I made.  Three of them are made from American Chestnut and the other is made from deer antler.

None of these calls have any kind of finish applied to they yet, at least not in this photo.

Thanks for looking.   bootmud

Lookn4Fur:
What did you think about the antler.  Definately different to turn.  They take finish well and look real nice when completed.  Should make for a nice addition to your line.  Damn, why did you have to get a lathe?  Now I have to compete with you also.  Just kidding, keep up the nice work and don't forget to sand, sand, sand.......Tim

bootmud:
Tim,

The antler is definately more difficult turn and even harder to find a piece of antler that is suitable to turn but yes it does look nice when complete.  I definately didn't sand these chestnut calls enough and it seem that it was very soft wood, it easyily chipped.

I don't think I'll be your competition.  You'd kick my a$$ with anything that you do on a lathe. :lol:

bootmud

Lookn4Fur:
Curt, never turned chestnut but Palm is like that for me.  I hate the stuff.  Remember to turn with the grain when possible.  A light touch and a sharp tool help to reduce the chipping.  What Lathe did you end up buying?

bootmud:
Tim,

I got the JET 1014VS.  Seems to work great but the operator need more practice. :lol:

bootmud

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version