Author Topic: CatFishing 101  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
CatFishing 101
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
Posting for DJ.  Thank You for the write up.

Catfishing 101

I break my catfishing into 2 catagories. Flatheads and Channels. They will be the two species you will most likely encounter on the Susquehanna River. You will also run into several species of Bullhead Catfish, but I try not to target them for they are smaller in size. Flatheads have been known to weigh in over 100lbs in other bodies of water, but for around here in south central PA on the Susquehanna, reports of 40lb, over 50 inches in length fish are the largest i've heard of. My personal best Flathead is 38 inches, couldn't tell you how much it weighed, I didn't have a scale. The Channel cats will top out around the 25lb mark and longest around 30-35inches. My largest Channel is in the 30-33 inch ballpark, again no weight. All of my catfishing takes place on the Susquehanna River, which can be fished in every month of the year, but the best months are May through October with the largest fish coming in the fall.

For bait, I like to using cutbait and live bait. The live bait that I use is usually in the form of creek chubs, bluegils, fallfish, white sucker, or any other similar panfish/large minnow. The bait ranges from 4-8 inches. We're talking large baits in catfishing, the bigger fish like'm big. Cut bait is the exact same fish used in live bait, except dead and cut into chunks. The choice between using live or cut usually comes down to how much time I have to catch bait or fish in general. For big Flatheads, the live bait seems to have more success, for they are truely a predatory fish, hunting their prey. The Channels can be caught on both types, along with prefabricated baits, worms, and chicken livers. This species is more of a oportunist when it comes to food, they will eat whatever comes to them the easiest and if it "smells" good. I've caught Flatheads on cut bait, and i've caught Channels on live bait, so just like almost everything else in life, theres always an exception to the rule. I've caught my largest Flathead to date on a nightcrawler, using less superior tackle, and on a very small hook. In that case, my largest catfish broke all the general "rules." Don't buy those "catfish nugget" pre-fabricated baits, they're a waste of money if you want to catch big cats and big cats on a regular basis. Catfish use their lateral line on the sides of their bodies to feel for vibrations, along with their "catlike wiskers" or barbells around their mouth to feel out injured baitfish. Catfish will "taste" their food through thier skin, as they do not have scales. When cruising flats for food, and not ambushing prey, they will taste a food such as chicken livers from many yards away. Catfish swim back and forth in large switchback patterns, and as they get closer to the bait, the switchbacks get shorter and shorter until they find what they've been "smelling." With all the sensory organs working to get the Catfish food, its eyes are relatively small as they don't rely on them as much as other fish species do. This is why heavier lines, large hooks, and colors aren't really that important in catfishing, becaue they can't see that well anyways. The rule "stinkier the bait the better," isn't really true. I can't say i've caught a lot of fish on rotten or tinchured bait. Fresh live bait, fresh cut fish, or fresh bloody livers always works the best in my experience. 

Tackle can get expensive, and when starting out to target catfish, you don't need all the gadgets and gizmos out there, or the rod that costs a few hundred. I personally have way too much fishing equipment. My rod of choice is a medium heavy action fiberglass rod, about 7'10" to 8' rod length, and a spinning reel that can handle large amounts of line (some of these boys run a long ways), and stainless eyes so braid won't cut into the eyes (braid will cut into the ceramic types). A good solid reel seat is another thing that is nice to have, something that is stiff and does not flex a lot. I have quite a few rods that fit these requirments, my favorite is my newest rod, made by Surge, the Trophy Cat Series. My heavy rod that I use for larger baits, is my CatMaxx rod that you can find at BassPro. This rod is 7'10" long, and is equiped with a Abu Garcia 6500 baitcasting reel. This rod can handle large baits, heavy current, and heavy sinkers. I've recently switched all my rods over to a 50lb braid, and some people go heavier on the poundage. I also started using a slip sinker rig as my main rig of choice for attaching hooks and sinkers. The slip sinker consists of, in this order on the line, a sinker slider, sinker bumper(beads, small rubber chunk of hose, ect), #3 barrel swivel, a 30 lb mono 12-16 inch leader, attached to a 5/0 to 8/0 sickle hook. Hooks and sinker types will differ between people, and just like we argue over the best caliber for fur, its the same for the best hook, hook size, ect. I like sickles because I like to set the hook. Others like circle hooks were you wind down on the reel rather than "setting the hook." I match the size of hook to the size of my bait, if its a 4 inch creek chube i'll just a 5/0 hook, its a 6 plus inch bait, i'll just 7/0 or highier. Each brand of hook varies by size as well, so I would find a hook you like, and stick to it. My favorite to date is the Big River by Gamakatsu if you can afford them (3 hooks for 8 bucks) or my main go to when snags are a problm the Matzuo sickles. My old rig is the 3 way swivel, with a leader to the hook, and a very light leader down to a sinker(think 8lb test). I used this rig a lot, but it takes longer to retie when you break off, and if you're not breaking off, you're in the wrong location. For sinkers, I match the weight of my sinker to the weight of bait. Smaller 4 inch bait will only get 1-2oz of lead, while an 8 inch chub will take 3-4 oz of lead. If the current is faster, such as the spring, sometimes 6-8oz of lead can be needed. Some people in real fast locations have been known to use 12-16oz of lead, i've never fished in such places. I started pouring my own lead sinkers due to price, you can pour your own sinkers for way less than half than you can buy'm. My favorite is the round, flat, disk like river sinker. The heavier the sinker, the more it will cost at the store, so you might want to pour your own.

Location in the river is something you'll have to learn. My best places on the river are behind sudden changes in depth, and that can be a drop from 5 foot to a sudden drop to 2 foot deep back up to 5 again. That "bowl" will hold fish. Fish will stack up behind large rocks that create a current break. Current breaks are probably the easiest feature to find. Where the "slow" water meets the "fast" water is where you want to cast your rig. I like to keep my rig just on the inside of the slow side. Fish will sit inside of the slower water and attach baitfish as they swim or float by in the faster water. Points out from an island will produce later in the season, as log jams and trash piles will work great through out the season. I like to think if it looks "fishy" by what you see on the surface, i'm sure they'll be there under the surface. Bottom structure is almost all rock rumble bottoms, with little or not mud. When you start getting into the muddy bottoms, you'll start to catch more bullheads, that is their prefered habitat. I find that the channels will be more of the cruising for food type, and the Flatheads are the waiting for the ambush back inside a logjam or in a deep hole type. I find I catch more channels when i'm anchored on the flats and more Flatheads when my rig finds itself behind root balls under the water, behind huge rocks, or in a log jam.

If anyone has any other questions they can always PM me on the site at my sn: Critterslayer51. I have to get out soon, I've had very limited time to fish this season due to work and other events that required my time. Let me say this, catfishing doesn't take a lot of skill, or high dollar equipment, and after that first monster you reel in, you'll be hooked! They are true predators of the water, and we seem to have a very high abundance of them here in the Susquehanna River, the 3 rivers near Pittsburgh (Where the 100lb Flats live), and the Schuylkill River. Happy Cat-ching!     ................DJ
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: CatFishing 101
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
Good write up dj.  good solid advice. 

a few things on gear and some cheap places to buy hooks. 

if you like the gama big river hooks and are looking for some big hooks dj check this place out. 
http://renegadetackle.com/Sickle-Hook-10-COUNT-SICKLE-HOOK-10-PACK.htm

the 6/0 size is in reality a 10/0 size.  they are thick hooks and sharp. 

if your looking for a regular style j hook that is sharp and strong.  check these out. http://www.bottomdwellerstackle.com/hooks.htm

I have used both their octopus circle and their regular octopus hooks and they are strong and sharp.  they are as sharp as gamakatsu IMO.

I also use these http://renegadetackle.com/Mutsu-Light-Circle-OFFSET-10-COUNT-Mutsu-Light-Circle-Offset.htm  They are suspposed to be double action meaning that when you see your getting a hit you can set the hook.  or you can let them hook themselfs.  here is a youtube video of what i mean.  the hooks I posted above are knock offs of what are in the video.  http://youtu.be/WzudvTMwA7c

I like to use circle hooks prob 90% of the time.  if I get a night the fish are being finicky and don't want to set the hook themselfs I will put on a kahle style hook.  which is a aberdeen long shanked hooked with a funky bend in it.  hook sizes I typically use are as follows.  circles I use 6/0's for cut bait.  live bait with circles I like to use a 8/0.  for kahles I use 6/0's most of the time.  doesn't matter if its cut or live bait.  also remember don't try to hide the hook.  like dj said above they are not hook shy.  corner hooking a fillet by about a half inch is perfect.  you try to hide the hook on a circle and your gonna hate em.

for rods.  I like a 8ft pole because it gives a good compromise between being able to fish from the bank or on a boat.  the longer the pole the more leverage you have on a fish as well.  that being said I have rods from 7ft to 9ft.  depends on the conditions and where I am fishing with but a 7ft 6in -8ft rod is a good size.  as for the action I typically like medium heavy rods but like hooks each manufacture has different ratings on their actions.  one medium heavy might not be as soft as anothers medium heavy.  I normally look at their lure ratings.  I like a rod with a lure rating that ranges from 2-8oz.  but being able to hold the rod and check it out is a plus.  I recently bought three of these rods to put reels on for loaner rods when I take people out fishing.  http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler-Power-Plus-Rods-Spinning-Rods/product/30663/-503816 I really like them so far.  they have foam handles and decent backbone but have a soft enough tip to use circles on.  They do not have stainless eyes but at 20bux its hard to beat.  plus I use mono most of the time now anyhow.  I do have a few reel spools with braid on to gain some casting distance if needed but I typically use mono.  I like to use 25lb neon green offshore angler mono from bass pro.  its cheap and it doesn't hold memory like some brands do.  as for reels I like to use bait feeders.  or bait runners.  they have a feature that you can flip a lever on the back and it will feed out line at a light drag weight.  I mainly use these when fishing from the bank because a decent cat will pull a pole in quick if your not paying attention.  the price on these range from 40bux to a couple hundred bux.  I have three brands.  one is an off brand which I do not like.  the other is a shimano and a an okuma.  the okuma is a good deal for the features.  I like a 60 size reel for spinning.  holds enough mono that if I break off I don't have to re spool. 

as far as bait exactly like dj said.  fresh is better.  I do as good if not better then other anglers fishing the same location using fresh to their tainted shrimp/livers/hotdogs.  fresh cut bait for channels and live bluegills or chubs for flatheads.  although both of the largest flats we boated this year have been on cut bait.  and most of the times your bait can never be too big.  in the fall we use whole suckers/bluegills in the 8-12" range for channels that go from 10-20lbs.  I had a channel hammer a live 6" rock bass the other week and it was only 4Lbs which is 20-24" fish  they are pigs and try to eat anything they can if they want to. 

I use the same rig dj uses.  I shorten the leader up if I am hanging the hook on the bottom of the river.  but I typically run a 12-24" leader on 30lb mono.  I don't get crazy with rigs.  it is a small piece of the puzzle.  make sure your knots are good and check your leader and main line for nicks every so often. 

as far as locations.  lately I have been doing well on travel routes out of deep water to shallow water.  the susky has ledges in it.  I setup on the end of the ledge where it leads up to a flat.  most of the time its gravel/grass flats.  catfish can be caught in only 1ft of water.  I move around till I find the actively feeding fish.  in a boat if I anchor and throw lines out.  and in 30 minutes if we didn't get a bite I will move.  sometimes I will wait around 45 minutes if I have a feeling the fish just haven't moved into the area yet but if we land in a good spot we normally have our first fish on in 5 mins.  sometimes we have had fish on within a minute and before the anchors get tight.  just depends.  I look for actively feeding fish and don't like to wait around.  it isn't as relaxing as sitting on a bank all night waiting for fish but I get bored easily.  now that the spawn is over and the water is getting warmer I will start to focus on riffle water.  riffle water has more oxygen in it then water that is calm and deep.  some time I strike out on an area.  but thats fishing. 

if there isn't ice on the susky you can catch channels.  flatheads prefer water above 55 deg before they go dormant.  hope I didn't step over the line on dj so to speak.  like he said catfishing isn't hard.  just get out and have some fun. 

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: CatFishing 101
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »
no sir...not stepping on me, we've both enjoy the sport, and have certain things that you like and certain things that I like...but for the most part they're the same in the big picture...good post...thanks for the links
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"