Author Topic: District 2 Hunt this weekend!!!  (Read 12041 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: District 2 Hunt this weekend!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 04:17:48 AM »
one "fox" sighting for tonight...way off in the distance, wouldn't come any closer...also what we believe to be a rabit played with my trigger finger for well over 20 minutes, couldn't positively ID, and lost the single eye in the brush...only thing my brother and I got tonight was some good chit chat and really bone chilling cold...hope everyone does better, see you all on sunday
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »
also heard 2 screech owls and a barred owl in one night...when the wind isn't blowing its amazing how much stuff you can hear on a clear night with snow on the ground...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »
From time to time you kind of get a bit disgusted... This is one of those years. Where are all the fox at?  I took my family doctor out last night for the 2ND year to get him a fox....I did the calling with mouth calls.. Usually when I do call I get them to come in. I visited 4 of my properties that I hunt on.   None did come into the calling...After I dropped the doc off at 10:30 PM I made two other sets.. On the first one When I got out of the vehicle a fox was barking in the woodlot.. I knew I was not busted...I set up and he continued to bark back and forth in this woodlot.. I think it was more of the kind of the year bark then one of being busted..  I called and called and called and he would not step out of the woods...I even tried to illuminate him inside the woods with the 250 Kill Light..Could not see him...

This is what I think it is:  
I have been calling in coyotes   7 so far this year...So....it could be that the coyotes are turning out to be the best fox hunters this year...It's been a one heck of an outstanding year calling in coyotes....Fox.. Ah something just ain't right out there.. Might be the coyotes...By the way...I have seen fox bark like this when the big guy was in the area... The big guy  AKA Coyotes..The more that I think about the bark that is the warning bark when coyotes are in the area for sure...

OR

There are just to many hunters out there playing the rabbit blues...I did post a comment on antother post.. This year as soon as I started playing sounds on electronics I would get busted.. This is a sign of fox being educated by other predator callers.. Don't need a crying towel here for this.. This is how life is and hey they, new callers got to learn too..

I am hoping for snow but not a lot of it, The fox mating season, Maybe this will change things and make this season yet another outstanding fox calling season..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:44:18 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »
Unclebuck
Most areas have been called and trapped at some point in the season. Right now if you have spots that have not been hit to hard they still are there and will come in. I even found two places just last night that callers had called maybe just a few minutes or hours before me and we still killed a fox at one spot. Kinda felt good to, it was the first time my brother got to hunt and shoot a fox since his wife passed away this year. I like to think he might have enjoyed it even more then me.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
Buckwheat sorry to hear about your brothers loss..Ya that would cheer him up a bit.. i'm glad the good lord let him harvest a fox..Sometimes things like that can take the blues away...

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »
good to hear you guys got out and were succesful buckwheat!! Glad your brother got out hunting and enjoyed the night, I too shared the night with my brother, and it was his first predator hunt. His eyes got as big as saucers and I think I may have heard his heart beating out of his chest as soon as I said, "do you see those eyes"???
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
i'm headin into the checkin...did anyone kill this weekend?
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
District 2 Hunt Results:

Cliff Martin 1st Place 7 red fox for 70 points....Foxpro spitfire E-Call
Nathan Brubaker 2nd Place 4 red fox 40 points...HS hunters package

Thanks to everyone that went out hunting, and thanks to everyone that showed up at the check in once again to chit chat and trade stories!!! Great hunt, more to come! Keep your eyes open for future events everyone!!!
              "CritterDone"

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
Good going guys.That's some good numbers for late season.Anyone else harvest anything.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 09:09:13 PM »
that was the only fur turned in at the check in
              "CritterDone"

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 09:27:03 PM »
I should reword that.That's some good numbers period....

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
I went out most of the night friday night and only called one fox in.  I believe he was a fox I called in earlier this year when I called a double in.  same field same stand and he approached the same way.  I turned the e-call on real low.  it sounded like you could hear a pin drop it was that quiet.  I seen an eye way up the fencerow coming in.  thats right a one eyed fox.  so either he got it poked out somehow or I shot it out earlier this year when I missed one at this field.  he was moving at a pretty good clip.  he stopped where he did last time and I could see the sillouhette in the snow he was a fox.  I left the call run and he moved on down the fencerow about 50ft at a time stopping each time.  just long enough to get down looking through the scope.  no shots fired friday night.  I stayed out till I fell asleep in the field.  went home slept for a few hours and got up and went deer hunting with some guys from HPA.  they ended up pushing a red fox out 10yds away from me but no shots again.  one shot at a deer but no kill.  sat night was shot for me.  I couldn't hardly stay awake sittin at home at 6 in the afternoon.  I woke up sunday morning and was plannin on hunting most of the morning but the wind kept me indoors.  oh well.  good job to those that killed.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:41:44 AM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
 Big Ben....So you missed my one eyed ,three legged fox , that you said you had already put down >:( >:(  You have violated one of the sacred trusts of the PPHA by yanking the chain of a fellow member!! :o Should take you to Herns and stretch you on his chain hoist fur skinner... ;D I stayed home in the warm because of your foolishness and didn't give myself a chance to win...you should feel bad!!!! ::)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
I never shot at him so I never missed him either.  and even with a disabled fox you wouldn't have got half the points you should have for a perfectly healthy fox.  I took pity on him really.  he ran up to me climbed the tripod and stuck the barrel in his chest and I could see in his lil ol eye he wanted to go quickly.  but instead of giving him one in the chest I gave him half a baloney sammich and some fruity beer and he ran off happy as can be and has a new take on life.  you ought to be ashamed of yerself for wanting to kill a critter that doesn't have his wits about him.   :P 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
Well I would have got full points cause I was planning on standing next to a PPHA officer (you) and giving the secret decoder sign... ;D