Author Topic: Remington RECALL on M-700 & M-7 w/X-Mark Pro Triggers  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
Remington RECALL on M-700 & M-7 w/X-Mark Pro Triggers
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »
Just saw this last nite on 204Ruger.com. Went to Remington.com and my 17 Fireball Mod. 7 that I bought used in Port Matilda last year is one of them.  Remington has replied already and she will be going back for repairs on their dime.  It is for rifles made from 2006 to present.  I'll bet that mine wasn't the only one sent to PA.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline j76clev2

Re: Remington RECALL on M-700 & M-7 w/X-Mark Pro Triggers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »
As a young man with a 2 year old and no stock options... I worked very hard to save up for a 700 chambered in  .223 to put some fur on the ground.  Needless to say i am very disappointed in Remington.  I literally hunted with the rifle 4 times before i learned about this recall.  I did have the gun go off once at the range after disengaging the safety.  The whole repair process is scary, a lot of people are reporting damaged barrels and stocks upon return. Remington has forgotten to ship bolts back with rifles and there is a 7 to 12 week turnaround time.  I have yet to receive the return box but have been told it is less than favorable packaging.  I have called customer service twice asking to speak to supervisors and was given the run around both times.  I am researching installing an aftermarket trigger.  My faith in Remington as a manufacturer is gone.  Anyone else have any suggestion or can share in the misery with me i would love to hear about it.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »
I know all the remington die hards will not like this stuff.
Maybe this will be a wake up call for remington. They have the best bolt action rifles.  But there quility in keeping them shooting tight groups has suffered also. They need to get better or they will be left behind. They need to stop living off there name and make good rifles again. It never ceases to amaze me when a gun smith gets a remington 700 they make them into shooting 1/4 in groups. Why remington can  not get close to that from the factory is interesting.  Maybe the company needs new owners.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:06:58 PM »
Savage went thru the same type of thing...their name is slowly coming back as  a good gun maker shooting  tight groups right out of the box.  But it took them a while to re-build their name back.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:40:02 AM »
My son wants a Remington 700 in 30.06 for Christmas.  Guess what he is not getting?  A Remington!
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline PA Predator Hunter

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
I HAD a 7mm mag model 700 BDL. The first time it mis-fired was upon taking the safety off. I thought I just might have somehow hit the trigger although it would have been the first time I made such a mistake.  The 2nd time it misfired was when closing the bolt to load the first round. At that point I knew I had an issue. Took it to the gunsmith and they told me the gun was fine and the serial number did not fall into the years that the guns were recalled. I said BS and bought a Tikka 7mm mag. It's 10 times the quality of the Remington.
Google "Remington model 700 misfire"and there are many lawsuits over this. The one deposition alludes to the point that Remington knew there were issues but chose not to fix the issue which was an additional part costing $.07 (yes, 7 cents).
So in summary -  no more Remington's for me!!! Thus far the Tikka and few Savages I own are performing quite well!!!!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
Hunter,

I own a few Savages myself and everyone of them shoot exceptionally well.   My weapon of choice for fox is a savage 17 hornet.   I also like the new TC Venture rifles.   They are quite accurate right out of the box also.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
Buckwheat-You are dead wrong.  Remington is not the best rifle unless you are only speaking of spending your money for the rifle of your own choice.  The Mark-X junk trigger replaced another junk trigger.  Their quality control stinks and their assembly inspections stink.  There isn't enough time here to tell you what I know and have seen, 1st hand of problems w/ 7's & 700's.  L4F, you should buy your son his gun from a good gunsmith and tell him to throw the trigger away and put an aftermarket trigger on.  Some good ones out there and while you're at it have him check the locking lugs.  There usually not bearing properly.  Every thing that you read about 7's & 7oo triggers is probably true.  Dick- Former PPHA paid member

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:55:17 PM »
Go to Snipers Hide  Bolt Action Rifles  Then about 11 posts down.  Some good reading-some not much, too.  Dick

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:09:25 PM »
Papa 1
You have not paid attention to my post.
I think remington rifles suck.
But why I said they make good bolt actions is because a lot of gun smiths make them into excellent 1000 yard guns
 What I was saying is the actions are good but remington factory has a good bolt action to work with but they end up making junk.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »
Yea, I got one too. >:( >:( The box that they sent me, I wouldn't send it across the street let alone to the factory. Asked them about a cheap hard case and they said that they could not guarantee the return in that case. Needless to say, I'm look'n for a replacement trigger. Must be what most are doing cause, timney triggers, are hard to find for this gun.
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »
Ernie,  You said "Remington has the best bolt action rifles ...".  How does throwing everything but the action make them the best or am I not understanding that, also.  Several companies are using their own copies of the 700 w/ their own modifications and there are some Model  70 copies out there also.  I have one of each original w/Palma taper barrels (Krieger & Pac-Nor) and the 70 shoots a little tighter.  Dick

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:28:53 PM »
Dick
I can not say it any better then I did.
That is what's wrong with typing information.
Clarence Hammon builds some nice rifles with just the 700 actions. Everything else is not used. His guns are some of the best for competitive shooting. Hell even my buddy has a 1360 yard ground hog with one of his guns. But stock from the factory is my complaint in quility and accuracy.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »
Ernie,  Please stop the BS.  If you go to Clarence Hammonds web page you will see that he builds "Customers Choice" and sells a couple of great actions.  You are still wrong on your original quote but your ego won't let you admit it.  This subject is closed, unless you want to keep playing.  Dick

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Papa1
Fine.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle