Author Topic: Sadly not a fan of AR15  (Read 11429 times)

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: Sadly not a fan of AR15
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »
I own one and have made sure the family can proficiently shoot it! Even my 8 year old, I wouldn't want him aiming at me in a bad situation! Geographically speaking in my area even for deer hunting you have chunks of woods then houses so you have to be careful where you shoot. With that said, what I have witnessed on the local game lands when a deer runs by most guys, they unload there bolt action guns even with no chance of making a shot. Now put an AR in there hand and let's let the lead really fly! If they were legal in PA I might take it out when I'm in the mountains but not around here in suburbia.  It's the mind set that, there's a fox, **** I missed buy hell I have 9 more rounds, I'm gonna shoot til it's dead or I'm out of bullets. I'm not saying that's everybody's mind set but there is enough out there who act that way to make me weary of the consiquences.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »
Well I appreciate the input and insults.   Sorry i brought this up. 
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

uncle buck

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »
shadowchaser you meant no harm...Nothing wrong with having a debate...Looking at the video you could do a pro and con on it... There looked like there was adequate back stop.  However I did see one bullet appear to go up into the horizon... So yep it could be debated... I know I would use varmint bullets that's for sure no deer bullets for predators..

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »
UB in all reality I would be more fearful of them being used for deer season.  I hunt a lot of public land and imagine half the people using them.  I wish I could say I trusted everyone to do the right thing, but we both know that won't/doesn't happen.  I see no issue with them being used for target shooting or to have for home defense.  I don't feel they should be illegal.  I just don't like the idea of 2-5 guys lined up in the woods during opening day unloading on a deer.  Yes the same accident could happen with a bolt, single, or pump, but a semi auto rifle would be a huge multiplier.

One thing I will say is that tracers are a poor judge of bullet ricochet as the tracer element sometimes breaks off of a .223 or .308 when striking something.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
Makes sense john. If ars came around id like to see a limit put on rounds in the gun same as a semi shotgun. No more then 3. Jmo of course.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
I'd like to see them legalized for varmint/predator/small game hunting only at first with maybe a 5 round limit since that is the smallest mag available.

Even New York allows hunters to use them, or at least did.

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 04:40:49 AM »
I hope that they never  legalize ANY semi-auto rifle for hunting.

Comparing them to a semi auto shotgun is not apples to apples due to the distance the bullet travels.

I hope they are never legalized for hunting, and it's not because they are black.

I find it funny that one of the arguments that is used in the gun control debate is that a black rifle is exactly the same as any other semi, but people inside the gun "fraternity" sometime forget to bring that up.

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
Well I appreciate the input and insults.   Sorry i brought this up.

Nothing to be sorry about, you have an opinion and you voiced it.  Those who don't stand for something will fall for anything.  I'm just kinda disappointed that the politicians have you guys by the shorthairs.  The PA I grew up in back in the forties and fifties I don't think would tolerate what pols told them they could or could not hunt with.  I still stand by a .308 and/or .223 out of a bolt will kill ya just as one out of an AR will. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »

A discussion of accuracy of the ar vs the bolt would be a nice subject .    After all. .  Our goal is to put fur down in the best way in  our geographic area  ?   And if the ar is so great then why don't snipers use emm ?
Sniper Rifle come in all sizes and configurations for the job at hand.  This is the one I used, which was given to me when I retired and now belongs to my grandson.   Are you a graduate of any military sniper course?  If so you must have been absent the day we instructed the versatility a sniper must have and the different weapon systems he has available to him.   

US Army M110 Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle. 

SS15-P Sniper Rifle

“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
Hmmmmm I've toying with the idea of buying a SAM7SF  :o  ammo is cheap also... :) Hunting with it NAH...buy I would like to see 22 semis legal to hunt squirrel and ground griz... 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »
Goose you need to buy yourself a 10/22 and start hunting with it.  Tell them handwringer worry warts to go pound sand.  Squirrels and rabbits can't beat it. ;D  That SAM7SF is a Belgium made gun and shots pretty good.  I have a buddy to has one and he likes it real well.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:25:57 PM by coyotejohn »

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 05:40:28 PM »
Goose, I second that ;D in fact I think you should have an AR on a swivel mount  ::) front of the little sneak boat "Leaky Lily" ;) give them geese a real surprise :o :o........... 8)

Offline JimmyLenz

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »
Coyotejohn .    I don't believe any of them you showed are near the equivalent of the ar 15 that you will see in the common hunting scene .  And yes I have an issue with staying awake in class .  I guess I should have been more specific in my post.  I take for granted that everyone I talk to is the common Joe .   Non the less .  I'd like to have one of each please .   Your "gift". Looks like one hell of a wood chuck plucker .

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 04:52:21 AM »
How many chucks could a wood chuck plucker pluck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 06:26:34 AM »
I was at a range one day and met a guy who actually used a ar chambered in .300 whisper with a can screwed on the end. He actually used it to fox hunt. Difference was he had to rack the bolt manually and he had a permit for the supressor. Right now in the heart of rifle season i hear it every day a volly out of a pump or lever. I would hate to see it with a semi. But predator hunters in general are a very safe breed. Look at the stats and im sure you'll notice that there has never been more then a handful of problem if any as far as accidents. So just maybe they would be alright. I agre john a bolt will kill as quick as a semi its the rate of fire that they can lay it down that bothers me.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”