Author Topic: Sadly not a fan of AR15  (Read 11430 times)

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
Sadly not a fan of AR15
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
This is a reason why I am not a fan of hunting in Pa with AR's.  I'm probably going to get slammed for this post, but its just my personal opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSJ3R1lwwS4
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: Sadly not a fan of AR15
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
I agree with you 100%!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
Im a fan of tim wells but not really impressed with this video.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline JimmyLenz

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
not a fan of emm for hunting .  Ill leave it at that ..

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
This is a reason why I am not a fan of hunting in Pa with AR's.  I'm probably going to get slammed for this post, but its just my personal opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSJ3R1lwwS4

Are you then saying that if allowed all PA hunters with an AR would act like this bozo did?  It appears, to me, that you don't hold your fellow PA hunters in very high regard.  Are you a "fan" of any semi-auto? 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
Its a sad fact john that most imo have the spray and pray mentality.  The simple fact you see on tv people taking running shots with bolts and i have seen it hunting with others to know that if they had 10 more easily accessible rounds that they would go till they hear click.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »
John,  For hunting I am not a fan of any semi auto's.  And no I dont think a normal person shooting an AR for hunting will back off.  I spent 7 years in the Infantry and I know how easy it is to lose yourself. 
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
Also John even if 90% of Pa hunters who used them were safe that would leave 10% who weren't.  I've never saw on a news report how a hunter put safety first.  With gun control such a huge issue we should be thankful we can own them for target and home defense.  I can only imagine the injuries on public land.  I know im not the only person to get peppered with birdshot.  Replace that with a .223 or .308 which are common AR calibers.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
I don’t get over here to often and don’t mean to cause a p’ing contest but it just really rubs me the wrong way when a fellow gun owner and hunter wants to restrict the rights of others to own/hunt with a rifle that is probably legal in most all other states.  Just because a few “might” not be responsible. 
A .308 or a .223 out of a Model 70 or 700 or any other bolt will kill you just as dead as one out of an AR.  You PA guys need to clean up your ranks if you got guys with that kind of mentality.  Due to some physical limitations I don't get out as often as I use to but when I do I always have my ArmAlite (.223) or DPMS (.308) with me. 

P.S.  I spent twenty-four years in the army, all with the 82nd, 1stSF, 5thSF, Center and two others we don’t talk about. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
With gun control such a huge issue we should be thankful we can own them for target and home defense. 

THANKFUL!!!  I believe the Second Amendment gives me the right no reason to be thankful just because some politician says you can have one, it's his/her job to ensure we have that RIGHT.  You guys need to get together and run these two bit political hacks ,who tell you what you can and can not do, out of office.  We passed a conceal carry law and then some idiot politician said we need to pay some money, take a class and get a permit.  WE THE PEOPLE said why, guess what - no permit needed to CC in AZ. 

Offline JimmyLenz

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
The AR discussion never ends well  .  And really is pointless to argue it .  The same replies always appear . Some take it as a personal attack on there own judgment . Some take it as the man holding them down cause other states allow emm . So on and so forth .    Fact is  .   We are judged by the actions of fools. . And there seems to be no shortage of them these days .  Proof is the warning labels on every product you buy .   Don't take things personal .     
 A discussion of accuracy of the ar vs the bolt would be a nice subject .    After all. .  Our goal is to put fur down in the best way in  our geographic area  ?   And if the ar is so great then why don't snipers use emm ? 

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »
Well said

Offline shadowchaser

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »
Great response Jimmy. 

John, I never said I was against owning them.  Just against hunting in Pa with them.  I respect your opinion as i do everyone's.  You and I were trained to use them though.  I have disabilities that limit my abilities and im only 33.  I couldn't tie my shoes, wipe my #ss or walk without a cane for almost a year so i can relate.  That has nothing to do with safety though.  Out west and even places down south they have the room to hunt with an AR, Pa does not.  And yes Im thankful.  Im thankful our rights are still intact at all.   I could care less about killing anything.  That doesn't mean i need to be policed from the ranks.
U.S. Army 99-06
Combat Infantryman
District 1

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 08:36:48 PM »
The past 5 years has made me open my eyes. Current administration forcing their agenda on the majority that don't want it.
I now know that if I don't like something that's OK. However if I don't like something I'm not going to try to take it away from others.  If you disagree with a part of hunting or shooting and then cast your vote against it your probably no better then PETA trying to take away hunting or trapping from you and you and you!

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »
After I said all that:  I remember a Mosquito creek hunt for coyotes: I was the caller up wind of two shooters down wind of me. Strategy was that I would call the coyotes and they would circle me and come into my calling and my brother and nephew would shoot them on their arc to me.
There I was at the 20 min mark just let out with the female invitation howl!
No lights needed twilight conditions and me with a single shot Encore 17 Rem straddles across my arms. All of a sudden two coyotes came running right at  me from the up wind side. I had to make sure they were not deer. Both coyotes and I knew who we were at the same time! They hauled it! I missed them with the single shot 17  Rem! :(
O how I wish I had an AR then or at least my Benelli SBE 11! :(  enough said in my part about AR ownership!